Monday, January 11, 2021

Monday, Monday, Can’t Trust That Day

This past weekend saw the final acts of the 2020 holiday season come crashing down. That meant the collection of the vast outdoor decorations my Favorite Panamanian directed be installed. It was appropriately cold and desolate, to match the mood. Harken though, only 348 days til Christmas 2021, thanks to my new, handy, dandy desk calendar. The electrical cords were particularly uncooperative due to their frozen state. I assembled the entire pile near the bulkhead before evacuating it all down to the basement. Here’s where this year is different. My wife is usually basking in the tropical heat of Panama by this time but the pandemic will not allow that. She has always complained about my method of storing the decorations and she might have a point. I’ve always filled the available boxes regardless of organization and plan to figure it out next Christmas. This always leads to a stern lecture by my Favorite Panamanian about my failings in the packing effort. As I write it, it does sound like a very flawed technique.

Screen Shot from This Morning's Contest
At any rate she donned a warm coat and descended to the basement to impose order upon the chaos. I did my part by accidently knocking one decorative statue over and breaking it. Fortunately, for my health, super glue was able to restore the subsequent damage. By the end of the day everything was in an appropriate box and I was allowed to stack everything for the next eleven months. 2021 is already looking up, I won’t get my annual lecture next Christmas season when we unpack everything again! Of course, I have complete confidence there will be other transgressions I commit that will require spousal counseling.

The Pile Awaiting Storage
I didn’t do my annual roll up of the movies from the past year. There is a very good reason for that – I haven’t seen enough. That, in and of itself, is a startling statement. I haven’t been in a movie theater since last March. That’s a record for futility dating back at least sixty years and includes several very long military deployments. I always found a way to see movies. I have seen some movies at home (dozens actually) but most were from prior years. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what’s happening in Tennet and I figure the upcoming third watch will help with that.
The Final Destination
The FBR was in a particularly Monday kind of mood this morning. She called me during breakfast and then immediately turned around like she wasn’t going to talk to me. So, I hung up. This apparently shocked her thoroughly (it was a very un-grandfatherly kind of thing to do) and when she called back Wingman related that she had been in a mood all morning. I then explained to her that this was completely normal when confronted with a Monday morning. We were soon laughing together as fruit loops met their demise on her end. She invented a new game where I would try to take a screen shot of her with her eyes open. She conversely tried to keep them closed. The results are posted here. Some Mondays aren’t so bad.

She Won This Round
In addition to my morning granddaughter chat, the House of Representatives presented an impeachment charge against our soon to be treasonous ex-president today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment