Thursday, January 7, 2021

National Disgrace Day

I hate to be predictable but I think everyone knows where I’ll be going today. What happened yesterday at the US Capitol was a national disgrace. It can laid directly at the feet of the narcissistic scumbag who has occupied the White House for the past four years. This is the type of action you only see in third world countries without the rule of law. In fact, I received messages from friends in some of those countries who were even more dismayed (if that is even possible) than I was in what was being broadcast all over the world. I know it sounds pretentious but despite all our misadventures most of the rest of the world still looks upon us as a beacon. I also have to believe that Vladimir Putin was chuckling in glee at what he was seeing as this might have been his plan in action.

I have a deep abiding love of this country. I proudly raise my US flag each morning. I served this country for twenty-seven years in uniform and I believe in its future. The acts of Trump’s supporters and Trump himself were treasonous. He organized the demonstration and then encouraged them to march on the Capitol, claiming he would be with them. Like most cowards though, he nestled into his safe haven to watch the havoc he incited transpire. His hair melting lawyer Giuliani and Trump junior should be charged with sedition for their words at the rally yesterday. Trump delayed responding to the insurrection until his aides could pound into his head of the dangers he had fomented.

There is serious talk now about invoking the 25th amendment to remove Trump from power before he can cause even more damage in his remaining two weeks. I know there are some very good people, people I consider friends, who have supported this demonic entity. I ask you to look into your souls after the events of yesterday. Trump is ever the provocateur which is fine when you’re a second-rate reality TV star. It is dangerous when you’re the president. Look into your soul, can you still support this creature? This was an assault on the very foundation of our way of life, provoked by the ego of a man who cannot accept he lost an election. There is also a very good chance he is, in the worst case, taking direction, in the best case, at least suggestions, from a hostile foreign power. Look into your soul and move on from this insanity. You can still support his concepts but Trump himself is irredeemable.

I’ve gladly proclaimed myself a conservative which my time in the military only deepened. That happens when you see some of the harsh realities that exist outside the haven of our borders. This is a time for the country to come together and to put the nightmare of Trump behind us. We are always at our best when we are challenged. I was heartened to see Congress convene into the wee hours of this morning to complete their interrupted work of confirming Biden’s election. Listen, I know our system is flawed and open for severe improvement, but look around, look at the alternatives. Don’t give into hate, believe in our country, and show this psychotic clown the door. His day is past, we are better than this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

1 comment: