Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Winter Look

My Favorite Panamanian is convinced that some of her prayers about the weather have hit home. She prays a lot. I mean, a whole lot. Some of that is a result the health situations of yours truly and some of her senior family members back in Panama. Apparently, she found some time to ask the Big Guy for a break on winter weather this year since she’s not spending it in the tropics (thank you Covid 19). It’s been a pretty mild winter, which she is claiming partial credit for, with no snow on the ground for the entire month of rapidly ending January. That came to a screeching halt overnight with the deposit of five inches of snow. At least it finally looks like winter around here. Since this is her first real winter in a number of years she now realizes how painful it has been for me to hear about how gorgeous the weather is at our Panamanian beach condo while I dealt with the latest polar vortex. Progress. A quick note, she’s a much nicer person than I because I know how painful it is and I still don’t hesitate to confront my New England friends with beach shots when I’m down there.

Favorite Son and BR3 Last Night

Deckzilla This Morning
Of course, since I had to get out this morning for a PT session as well as a swim, the roads were challenging. Five inches isn’t much (Northern Virginia would have been paralyzed) and were all plowed, however a tractor trailer decided to jackknife in the middle of Worcester. Since we haven’t had much snow this winter all the re-located flat-landers still haven’t acquired the requisite driving skills which added to the drama. It was still very rewarding not to have to drive into work but it’s been a couple weeks since I had to be anywhere outside of home and it figures we’d get dumped on to add a little flavor to the escape from home. I pointed this lack of timeliness in her praying out to my Favorite Panamanian. It wasn’t well received.

Best Man in Thailand
There was some good news on the old friends scorecard. I was able to confirm the best man at my long ago wedding is still doing well and thriving in Thailand with his bride and daughter. I hadn’t heard from him in a couple years and after conferring with another buddy who we had also been lieutenants with in Panama, I reached out to my best man’s brother. He related the good news and also that my buddy occasionally reads the blog. So, Esteban, it’s been too long and we’re both getting too old to put off staying in touch. This year will be crazy but both my Favorite Panamanian and I hope we can figure out a way to get together in the coming years, either here, in Panama, or even Thailand. You have a standing invite to the first two places.

BR3 Trying to Acquire her Dad's Phone

Unhappy with Pace of Feeding
My enthusiasm of my upcoming eligibility for the Covid vaccine has waned a little in the face of the People’s Republic of Massachusetts roll out plan. I can’t make an appointment until my “group” (65+) is activated and I’m probably going to have to travel since the appointments in Worcester are booked through February. I’m glad New Hampshire is run more effectively because I’m hearing from a bunch of fellow seniors/friends up there that they already have appointments. I’m more disappointed than surprised after seeing the state government in action over the past fifteen years. Maybe I should relocate to the granite state.

Latest Pandemic Puzzle Knocked Out

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment