Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Acid Tests and Romanian Deadlifts

We’ve really enjoyed having my daughter and her family in residence for the past week. It means a much more lively waking up experience every day when I descend the stairs to do my morning workout. I also no longer have to raise the flag along every day as the FBR has taken it upon herself to be my personal body guard during this activity. Our days are also marked with serial games of hide and seek in which the FBR has really upped her game. She crawls under furniture where she knows certain grandfathers will not make the effort to get down on his knees to look under. She is a constant source of joy around the house which 2020 has done it so much to make dour.

Wingman and My Daughter Doing Battle Last Night
Second Thoughts Abounded
The FBR’s parents are also a lot of fun to hang out with, something I knew well before they arrived. Last night my daughter and Wingman had an in-home version of Hot Ones. This is a tv show where celebrities consume ever increasingly volatile hot sauces. Wingman is something of an aficionado on these sauces and got several potent ones for Christmas. Last night they had a contest where they sampled three of the hottest. While Wingman laughed, albeit nervously, throughout, by the end of the contest my daughter’s gums were hurting. It turns out whoopie pies are a remedy from the worst effects of toxic level hot sauce. I always knew they were mystical.

FBR Invaded her Abuela's Closet Yesterday

Sampling Shoes was High on the Agenda

A Literal Fashion Explosion

FBR and Her Mom Time on a Solar System Project
I had my second appointment with the physical therapist today and I can already tell the difference it is making. She works a lot on my bad knee which she says is connected to my ability to strengthen the hip muscles I need to work on. She claims she will get me to the point where I can start running again. I love an optimist. She gives me homework each time – this time it consists of an exercise called the Romanian Deadlift. It’s basically just bending at the waist and not half as cool as the name sounds. As I said though, I can already tell the difference the exercises and procedures she’s been using with me have made. I wish I could have started a month ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment