Saturday, December 19, 2020

Zoom Fam

I’ve written before about how the First Friday of the Week commemoration has evolved in Pandemia. I’ve come to truly treasure the family Facetime call organized by my daughter. Regular attendees include both of kids and their families as well as Soxfather and Great Aunt. The “kids” usually have to sign off fairly early due to required ministrations for the FBR, BRS and BR3. That leaves usually an hour or so to virtually hang out with my sister and Soxfather. It’s almost as much fun as really hanging with them in person, although a short substitute for the real thing. Yesterday was no exception as we gathered around screens to share some Christmas spirits. The FBR was more interested in getting movie night started but she put on a brave face and entertained us, including sending me about three dozen texts of different cartoons.

The BRS Also Enjoyed some Snow Time this Week
We added another element to our Friday lineup last night. I set up a zoom call with my Favorite Panamanian’s sisters and brother. Since we are not the most technically astute generation the first forty minutes were spent getting everybody on screen but after that we had the predictable amount of fun. I say predictable because one of the things I love about my wife’s family is that it is impossible not to share almost continuous laughter once they gather. We hope to make this another Friday tradition as long as our thin grasp of the technical aspects endure.

Last Night's Family Zoom
Today I drive up to New Hampshire to pick up my son’s gifts for his sister’s family and Great Aunt/Soxfather. Another reminder of how Christmas will be different this year. We’ll have a second Christmas with his family after my daughter and her family return to New Jersey. I’ll be making another trip down to Rhode Island to deliver and pick up gifts there ahead of Christmas. Both of these trips will be made with appropriate social distancing to maintain my personal quarantine. 2020, the gift that just keeps giving.   

Wife Captured Some Photos of the Snow Clearing on Thursday



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment