Friday, December 18, 2020

Sounds of Silence

Well, we got the full treatment from the storm yesterday. It was hard to say how much snow fell because the wind was blowing the very light stuff all over the place. There was over 18 inches on the front walk. As I explained yesterday this was the first storm in years that I could truly “enjoy” because there was no commute or worry about keeping service out on the road. I also loved that after getting pummeled with over a foot of snow, hardy New Englanders were back out today as if nothing happened. I treasure this after living in Virginia and seeing it paralyzed by an inch of snow. I had to clear the driveway twice because of all the drifting snow but it was so much easier than the earlier, less prodigious snowfall which was so heavy. I even cut a walkway out to the flag pole so I could raise the colors each morning. I noticed this morning that the rabbits living underneath Deckzilla (note to self – do something about that) had taken full advantage of the path I dug. I love the aftermath of a major snowfall for the pristine silence that permeates the air, especially at night. The snow deadens all the usual ambient noise. I would have stayed out longer last night enjoying the atmosphere except that it was bone chilling cold.

FBR, Appropriately as a Snow Angel

View out our Front Door This Morning

Buried Angel
It also snowed down in New Jersey which the FBR took full advantage of with her sidekick, Wingman. They only got six inches but that was a lot for there. She was full of ideas this morning during our call. She particularly liked sliding down her playground into a pile of snow. She wants Wingman to pack up her huge playground to take with them when they come next week. When we told her that was impossible, she relented and said they needed to pack only the slide, which, and I quote, “should fit in a large bag”. When her parents and I stopped laughing I told her I was planning on teaching her the intricacies of snow saucer sliding on our back hill while she’s here with hopefully no Clark Griswold incidents.

Future Prey - Rabbit Tracks outside Deckzilla


Meanwhile in NJ
It’s heartwarming to see the palpable excitement whenever we talk with her about their upcoming visit. She asked if it would be okay for her to come into our bedroom and wake us up each morning while she’s here. When I responded that my Favorite Panamanian and I were counting on that, my daughter chimed in with an enthusiastic, “So are we!”. A parents’ burden can certainly be a grandparents’ delight.

Our Future Wakeup Call Testing the Snow
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment