Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Snow Zoom

This will be another granddaughter limited post as the FBR is in residence and requires my presence to supervise. Just to be clear, she is the one doing the supervising. We escaped from the ether sphere of zoom calls yesterday to engage in some actual zooming down the back hill. I hadn’t been snow saucering since the FBR’s mother was of a similar age but it was akin to the proverbial bicycle riding. The FBR seemed a bit apprehensive when we first climbed the hill but after her first ride down the hill she was excited and her first words were, “Let’s do that again!”. We had to adjust our run after one of her initial slides saw her ending up in my Favorite Panamanian’s rose bushes and as she struggled to escape the resulting decapitation of the cement Virgin Mary statue.

FBR on the Slide

A Natural

Grassy Landing Area

Starting Down the Hill with Abuela
This could have been catastrophic for certain grandfathers as my wife emerged to join us. While getting my Favorite Panamanian outside while snow is on the ground is noteworthy in and of itself, the fact that she forgave the damage quickly is even more so. I ascribe this to the fact this is not the first time this statue has been decapitated and that the FBR was the perpetrator this time. After adjusting the run, we made the hill climb sixty or seventy more times. The FBR is nothing if not relentless. She even convinced both my wife and myself to take runs down the hill with her. It was some of the most fun I’ve had in months. After concluding our sliding, the wife and FBR decided the snow was perfect for a snowman which rapidly assumed shape in the front yard. Again, this was my wife, she of the dedicated tropical blood, out in the snow for well over two hours. Noteworthy, undeniably.

And Grandpa

We kind of Got Turned Around

Snow Man Construction

Final Result

Favorite Panamanian and FBR
Earlier the FBR had assisted me with the raising of the flags which wasn’t as easy as it sounds as I tried to balance the FBR on one hip while keeping the flags from plunging to the ground, still, loads of fun. The FBR invented a couple of new games for us to pursue after another afternoon sliding session, this time with Wingman as bottom of hill catcher. We built some towers which she didn’t immediately consign for destruction, another first. Just before bedtime she had the entire family cheering on which ball would reach the end of the towers path first. There was also the occasional tea party which involved the theatrical addition of soup and hot sauce to the tea, thank God it was all make believe. I was exhausted by the end of the day but it was one of those well-earned, and joyously embraced levels of fatigue. Granddaughters are simply the best medicine for pandemic funk. Merry Christmas. Indeed.

Early Morning Flag Detail

Balancing Act

FBR Next to Towers with her Tea Party Treasure Chest
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment