Friday, April 10, 2020

The First of the Sixth Day


One of the most catastrophic (at least in my life) results of this pandemic has been the shuttering of neighborhood bars, including that most exalted of all locations – Brew City. I consider it a sacred duty to observe the First Friday of every week and that was made existentially more difficult with the lack of a bar to go to. It is certainly a time when the consumption of a Friday beer is all the more warranted for the challenges we’re facing at work each week as well. On second thought it probably wouldn’t make sense to have to shout observations on the past week over appropriately social distances.
This does not mean that sacred Fridays will go unrecognized. I have kept the faith, much to the consternation of my Favorite Panamanian. Each Friday, at home after I’ve passed through the various decontamination levels (think Andromeda Strain) she enforces each day I’ve been able to enjoy the fruits of the brewer’s art. Although Wingman and my Favorite Son, craft beer aficionados, would probably take issue with calling Coors Lite “art”. Bottom line – we’ll all get through this by finding way to maintain our traditions and this is my poor effort. Hoist a few with me this afternoon wherever in the world the virus has you sequestered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment