Monday, April 13, 2020

Easter Weakened


This past weekend certainly brought moments of sheer joy. All of those were associated with watching my two granddaughters reveling in severely curtailed Easter traditions. I remember last year when we had both of them running around together. Of course those type gatherings are not possible in today’s virus laden environment. Thank God for FaceTime because we were able to watch as the BRS charged around her yard hunting down Easter eggs.
FBR and Parental Units Yesterday
My son had us on while the ABFA had her parents on a seperate phone so both sets of grandparents were able to enjoy the enthusiastic and thoroughly frenetic search for the eggs by the BRS. My son had to stop a couple times as the BRS’ fast pace resulting in freshly acquired eggs being left behind in her wake. Her Easter basket had already provided her with a new stuffed toy, her favorite character from Frozen 2 – the fire lizard. Most little girls like either Elsa or Anna (yes, I do know who they are!); I wonder what loving the fire lizard means? My son was sure of the purchase because he’s sat through at least thirty viewings of the movie with the BRS since the quarantine started.
BRS and her Fire Lizard
The FBR had been excited all week about the impending Easter holiday and associated candy. She actually got two hunts in. One conducted on Saturday in her own front yard and yesterday at the home of a family friend. That friend had reached out to my daughter and Wingman earlier in the week. Those freinds set up a sanitized Easter egg hunt in their yard and then scheduled the children of their friends in for solo hunts while they watched from inside. It’s a sign of the times but also an indication of the absolutely outstanding people my daughter’s family has fallen in with since they moved to Maplewood.
FBR Saturday Hunt

Actions on the home front were decidedly less entertaining although my Favorite Panamanian did find a way to shop. She’s going to be sewing face masks for the family and needed material since my donation of old Tee Shirts were not fashionable enough for her senses. She went online to Jo Anne Fabrics and located the needed material. She then opined that a sewing table would be a welcome addition. Since she already had the Jo Anne site up I was helpless to resist. I’ve got to step up my game if I hope to keep up with this shopping virtuoso.
Getting Ready for Sunday Hunt

In Action

The Spoils

Easter Angel
We drove over to the store once we were notified everything was ready. We pulled up and a store clerk asked us what name the order was under and placed everything in our car. We never had to get out. This was the first time my wife has been out of the house since getting back from Panama three weeks ago. We drove around a little more just because she was enjoying getting out although she made pointed comments about how America is responding to the crisis. She said way too many people were out and about. I got the side eye when I pointed out that we were among that group.
Sewing Table Parts Spread Out

Assembled

And Extended
In Panama police are actually arresting people who ignore quarantine and force them to walk down the middle of the street holding brooms. Somehow I don’t think that would work here. She gets really upset with the increasing number of deaths when compared to European countries. I tell her to consider the relative size. The US is larger than all the European countries combined. We buzzed by a grocery store only to find a really long line waiting outside and therefore moved on. We returned home where my wife gave me her first ever hair cut. With barbershops closed down I had hair sneaking up on my ears. While it took a lot longer than usual she, and I  (I hasten to add) were pleased with the outcome.
Wife and I Easter Day
Returning home I spread out the seemingly thousand pieces constituting the new sewing table. I also noticed it originated in China which required a sanitizing wipe down of each. I spent the next couple hours assembling the thing with Young Frankenstein on the TV in the background (still one of the funniest movies ever made). As I assembled the table I learned it featured a collapsible option which made assembly even more entertaining. Somehow, despite my complete lack of patience it came together fairly well.
Easter Dinner

Namesake Nephew with a Ham for Great Aunt and Soxfather
Easter was subdued at home. I did get to sit through a watch of the Pope’s Easter Day service online, so I got that going for me. My Favorite Son rescued me halfway through with the aforementioned Easter Egg hunt facetime call. Earlier in the week, while at the grocery store, I ran across a small turkey and since I abhor ham, thought why not. So yesterday I made one of my holiday turkey dinners for just the wife and I. My Favorite Panamanian enjoyed it because she was allowed into the kitchen to clean during preparation. She’s usually summarily evicted during the busier Christmas dinner prep.
Connery Still Rules!
The best part of the day was spent connecting with family and friends, albeit none in person. My wife is a lot more adept at that and spent the majority of Sunday on the phone with her wide range of friends. That meant more extended Man Cave time for yours truly. Having polished off the Marvel and Star Wars universes I launched into old friend, James Bond, 007; knocking off the first four movies. They’ve held up really well. When I finish I’ll rate them best to worst. That is all from the quarantine zone.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment