Sunday, April 26, 2020

Distance Shrink Socially


We played a trick on my Favorite Son and his family yesterday. During our family Facetime call for First Friday (a huge success that will become a standard over the coming pandemical weeks) we told him we received notice that the face masks my Favorite Panamanian had made for them would be delivered on Saturday. My son has been working from home for the past weeks but as Vermont started to allow some construction to start up he has to travel there this week to check on one of his projects. My wife didn’t want him leaving the house without a mask and didn’t want him relying on his stated plan – a bandana.
The BRS on the Road Saturday Morning
What we didn’t specify was the delivery method. My wife spent all of Friday night prepared some of his favorite food dishes which we added to the cache of macaroon cookies she created over three days. We pulled into his driveway and I called him to say we received notification the masks had been delivered. Since he didn’t come to the door at that point I turned the camera around to show him we were outside.
Favorite Panamanian Maintaining her Distance
Much Tougher than it Looks
We maintained social distance from each other which was very tough when the BRS made her appearance. She is very huggable. The BRS was a little taken aback at first since we were wearing masks but she soon figured out who we were and she proceeded to entertain us by jumping all around her daddy’s feet and charging around the front yard. The ABFA appeared serene closing in on her ninth month. We had her check out the new car since that is one of the candidates they are considering in the next year. Of course the BRS leaped at the opportunity to assist with her technical expertise.
Jumping in Delight
We only stayed for fifteen minutes since I’m not sure how much longer we could have resisted hugging one of them. We later learned the BRS was very upset that we had to leave. It was a nice escape from the quarantine zone, jigsaw puzzles, and the Man Cave on a beautiful spring day. My Favorite Panamanian had worried we wouldn’t be allowed into New Hampshire but I assured her we hadn’t reached that point. Yet. Despite my bravado I was a little nervous approaching the birder but no SS troops in evidence.
Wife in her Macaroon Production Facility

Results

A Serene ABFA

Ladies Checking out the Car
We had a very fun time with the FBR this weekend. She continued her quest to do a wakeup call with us. She called around 9am yesterday and was disappointed to find us already up and about. We planned another try this morning and I promised her I would stay in bed until she called (the sacrifices grandparenthood calls for). I was actually dreaming about the call when my IPad cooked off just after seven thirty this morning.
BRS Upset that we had to Leave
She was extremely pleased to have woken us up but one of her first questions was why we were still in bed. She was even more pleased when I told her we were only complying with her directions. She offered a blistering assessment on my chosen sleep attire, a t-shirt, which I have to admit compared poorly with her Princess Rapunzel gown. It was a great way to start the day.
Prior to our Arrival the BRS Took her Parents on a Long Walk

Such a Character
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment