Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Peaking


Local officials are saying Worcester is going to peak in terms of the virus this weekend. While I’m not sure as to the reliability of such prognostications nothing seems to be changing which means, for the most part, Worcesterites have been doing the right things. Work has settled into a semi-rhythm now that the puerile actions of the few have been handled. As I’ve stated before, one of the true highlights of each day has been conversations via FaceTime with my granddaughters and their parental units.
BRS and her Parental units
Last night saw a quantum leap forward in technology, predictably originating with Wingman. We were talking with my Favorite Son and the BRS when my daughter and the FBR called in. I was going through the gyrations of trying to have the two cousins see each other on the separate devices when my daughter suggested a group video chat, something Wingman recently taught her how to do. A couple hesitant computer clicks later we were all on the screen together.
Connection!
The best reaction came from the BRS who was thrilled to see her cousin, the FBR, so clearly. The FBR initially tried to be the cooler, older part of the equation but in short order she donned a paper Easter bunny mask she had created in the Wingman Daycare center. The BRS loved it and we’ve all learned that the FBR rises to meet the adulation of any audience. The best part was hearing all the voices from three different locations mixing together. It reminded me of the happy times when we are all gathered under the the same roof. I think it’s called contentment.
Then the Mask Came Out
The FBR seems to be really blooming in her school work with Wingman. She’s still more than a year away from kindergarten but can already count reliably and spell with astonishing accuracy. Wingman had taught her a few words and thought they were done for the day. He came back a little while later to find that the FBR had written out several words on her white board without any coaching at all. The ABFA complimented the FBR on her penmanship which said was already much better than her uncle’s (my son).
FBR With her Accomplishment

Easter Dress Up
The BRS loves getting outside every chance she gets; a true New Englander with the advent of spring. I’ve been searching to document what feels different about this spring with the virus hanging over our heads and that’s certainly one aspect. Every spring New Englanders surge out of their homes as the weather starts to turn. 45 degrees in April is significantly warmer than 45 degrees in October (winters do that to you). You just do not see that this year, for all the right reasons. When not frolicking around her yard the BRS has taken up assaulting her parents. She thinks it’s high comedy to climb up on her parents and then rub her head against theirs. She especially energetic with the ABFA since she has the added advantage of the increasing baby bump to climb with.
BRS Out and About

With the ABFA and Baby Bump
I’ve continued my march through the 007 films and have completed through On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment