Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Burned Up


All of you out there who were genuinely worried about my failure to conduct a backyard fire can now rest their collective angst. Due to a fortuitous sewing machine breakdown my Favorite Panamanian consented to join me in the wind free back yard last night for the delayed immolation. Since it was a school night there was no beer involved which was the only downer. I was also keeping an ear cocked in case my hyper-sensitive neighbor called the fire department again. As you can see my wife took no chances as to exposing herself to the elements but I appreciated the time out there together and I could still glimpse her eyes. I’m convinced there’s a human gene linking back to our primordial days that makes staring into a fire soothing. Or I could just be a less than latent pyromaniac, toss up there.
Happy Pyro Last Night
The sewing machine breakdown was the big news in the house last night. She’d been laboring diligently over the past two weeks creating face masks for the family. We were both trying to remember how old the sewing machine was but neither of us could remember. My best guess was that I bought it for her when I was stationed at Ft Leavenworth, Kansas back in 1992-3. That means the machine was almost thirty years old which means it is ready for a coup de grâce. That failure launched us on a search for a new one. I thought it would be easy but apparently there are a lot of people sewing masks because nearly every place we checked was backordered until August. Against all my wife’s edicts, this being classified as an emergency, we donned masks and ventured out to the nearby Wal-Mart but they were sold out as well. I finally found one this morning that will be delivered next week.
My Favorite Panamanian Braving Arctic Conditions
The only granddaughter contact we had yesterday was with the FBR. She was very talkative for once and we got into a discussion about movies (talk about my wheelhouse!). When I asked her what movie she wanted to see next she said she had one in mind but that she wanted to see the trailer for it first. Talk about an apple falling not far from a tree (yes, daughter – I’m talking about you). I’ve actually falling back on movie watching now that I’ve started my first quarantine jigsaw puzzle combined with service as a sewing machine search engineer but I did knock out another 007 movie last night.
007 Progress
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – inbound granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment