Sunday, July 30, 2017

Wonder Sadness

Buddy in Every Sense of the Word
My initial enthusiasm at Buddy the Wonder Pooch’s improving health were dashed decisively Friday afternoon with a call from the vet. My good friend, partner in crime, and fellow target of my Favorite Panamanian’s ire has leukemia. The vet indicated we could refer him to an oncologist but the success rate is very low. I made the decision that I didn’t want his final days to be spent undergoing chemo and the attendant quality of life. I was stunned by the call and affected more than I thought I would be. That’s testimony to just how close he and I have become over the seven years we’ve been together. My sister remarked how lucky he’d been to land at our doorstep. I’ll think about that later as I’m determined to make him as comfortable as possible with whatever time he has left. The vet said it could be weeks to several months. I already miss him.
Friday Night with the Mafioso 

I had the immense good fortune to acquire an assembly of some of favorite people in the world both Friday night and yesterday to help assuage my impending sense of loss. Friday night saw us wandering down the street to the Neighborhood Mafioso’s house where I drank way too much beer, sadness will do that to you. It was good to be surrounded by friends although my thoughts kept creeping back down the street to a certain black lab. I snuck down there a couple times to make sure he was receiving the requisite pats.
Deckzilla with her New Coat

Forces Gathering 
FaceTiming With Granddaughter


Great Aunt Dominating her New Knee
My Favorite Son and the ABFA came down to spend Saturday night since we’re all going to a Rhode Island wedding today. With the close proximity of his birthday I invited Great Aunt, Soxfather, and Keene Friend for an impromptu birthday celebration/barbecue. I spent most of the day leading up to that finishing up Deckzilla’s annual recloaking in sealant. After moving everything off her immense bulk and power washing her I spent most of Saturday applying the sealant to all her many layers. My Favorite Panamanian came out to help with some of the lower levels which was a huge boost.
Dinner Time


Birthday Boy


Unfortunately the cool weather meant Deckzilla was still damp by the time people started showing up and we spent most of the evening inside. We fielded a FaceTime call from New Jersey where the First Blog Reader was more than impressed with the assembly of people she had fawning over her every gesture. Eventually dead animal flesh was seared and Deckzilla’s upper level dried enough for us to eat outside. Bonecrusher was deployed and my son wielded that fell weapon expertly to sever his birthday cake. Being surrounded by this awesome assemblage of people was exactly the medicine I needed after Friday’s news.

Bonecrusher Appears

And Goes to Work

I’m not sure when I’ll be blogging again because I leave early tomorrow morning for a business conference at one of the hotels surrounding BWI airport. It will all depend on the adequacy of the hotel Wi-Fi and that’s always a sketchy bet. I probably should figure out what hotel it is before I get on the plane. You can probably guess how excited I am at the prospect on three days in Baltimore. 
With Mom at Playground

Gearing Up


Helping Mom with Pancakes

1 comment:

  1. So sorry. I fell in love with Buddy the minute I met him!!!! What a sweetheart! I hope his last days are not too bad and are filled with love. He had a great Mom and Dad and I could tell when I met him, how happy he was. Hugs to you all!!

    ReplyDelete