Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Independent Day

Got to Hang with These Two -Yesterday
There’s something a little off putting with a holiday falling in the middle of the week like yesterday’s 4th of July. I spent the whole day thinking it was a weekend and confronting consternation when my brain recalculated with corrected information. Since I had some free time and nowhere to drive (thankfully) I spent the morning finishing off the small wall for my wife’s front yard garden. My wife’s uncle was stalwart in support as always. By the end of that little exercise my back was in serious bark mode. I’m thinking I may have outgrown my fascination with retaining walls.
The Finished Wall
On the upside we were hosting a 4th of July party later in the day which had my Favorite Panamanian in serious party prep, a phase not to be lightly intruded upon, except to perform required tasks. So being out on the wall, appearing productive, provided a saving grace for both her uncle and myself. The party itself was exactly what the 4th of July should be, family and friends handing out on perfect New England summer day enjoying the company and barbecue.
Deckzilla Times

There was the whole issue of the grill catching fire a couple times but a nearby water supply squelched any lasting impact. I guess I should take my wife up on her suggestion I clean the bottom out of all the accumulated grease. The best development of the day was the arrival of both Great Aunt and the Soxfather to take part in the proceedings. In a completely uncharacteristic move they showed up precisely on time. I was a bit confounded by that heretofore unheard of event.



The rest of the gang, composed mostly of the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian mafia arrived bearing food and camaraderie. Deckzilla functioned exactly as we had hoped when it was built as a perfectly shaded location to pass a late summer afternoon. We tried to make a FaceTime call to New Jersey but the First Blog Reader was busy with her own 4th of July party and paid scant notice to us. After all my running around over the past few weeks it was restorative to hang out at home and even better since Great Aunt and Soxfather were there.
Finally , it would be remiss if I didn't provide some photos of New Jersey's finest residents:






No comments:

Post a Comment