Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Day of the Big Guy

The Birthday Boy a Couple years Ago
I didn’t blog yesterday (you are very welcome) as I was engulfed hosting visiting corporate vice presidents and a business lunch with the customer. That all went exceedingly well but the regular work day was compounded by the annual height of the vacation purge of some of my best people. I looked up and it was the end of the day and since nothing extraordinary happened I decided not to impose my faulty prose upon you.
He's Always Liked his Cake

The Young Pirate

Happiest Day of his Life
Today is a completely different story though as it marks the birth day of my Favorite Son and therefore momentous on a more cosmic scale. At a recent wedding that we all attended I looked across the table and just marveled at the young man sitting across from me, more so that he flourished despite my amateur level fatherhood. At times I reflect back on what the little tow headed scamp developed into and am amazed. I know I tend to gush when it comes to my children but if you’ve been lucky enough to meet them you would completely understand. I called him “Big Guy” even when he barely reached my knee and he more than redeemed that appellation, more so in spirit than the more apparent. He still holds a number of school track records at my old college but his more compelling records lie in how he lives his life with the irrepressible ABFA at his side. Happy Birthday Big Guy – I could not be more proud of you.
Happiest Part of My Birthday - Having him at my Side
A little more troubling news at home where Buddy the Wonder Pooch is severely under the weather. It started about a week ago when he abandoned his usual technique to speed eating his daily meal. He’s been drinking water non-stop and a couple days ago the side of his face started swelling up. I was able to get him into the vet’s today so I’ll keep my fingers crossed it’s just a tooth ache and not something more serious.

Buddy This Morning

Date night last night and the Favorite Panamanian and I went to see Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. I’m a huge fan of director Luc Besson and he once again delivers a wildly entertaining sci fi film. It was a chemically imbued 5th Element with Besson’s soaring images and grandiose style. The movie would have been legendary except for his choice of lead. Dean Dehane is a fine actor but he doesn’t have the physical screen presence Valerian called for. His part of a rough and tumble futuristic galactic cop needed someone who doesn’t have to jump around in the shower to get wet. All of the other actors, especially Cara Delevingne as Valerian’s partner, are superb. The action and constantly changing locales are Besson-like which means they alone are worth the price of admission. Critics won’t like it but I certainly did. It’s a great ride despite the wimpy hero. 
Meanwhile in New Jersey



No comments:

Post a Comment