Sunday, July 23, 2017

Rush to Finish Line and Old Friends

The Crew Gathered on Deckzilla Last Evening
We had a group of old friends showing up at the house for a party yesterday afternoon so I awoke to the usual list of “honey do’s” which were added to the task of finishing the backyard patio I’ve been engaged with for the past week. I was behind schedule since I lost one evening to overcoming Buddy’s downstairs assault on our collective olfactory senses. I had exhausted the local Home Depot of their supply of pea stone and as I journeyed south I found the Auburn store was likewise bereft. I finally located the motherlode at the Home Depot in Oxford and this made the much longer drive home in a seriously overloaded Camry all the more interesting.
The Finished Patio
I moved the stone into the backyard in the usual laborious process highlighted with that hazy hot, humid weather that is my least favorite of summer varieties. I felt bad because one of the cadets I had trained way back in the early 1990s had contacted me and asked me to stop by his house yesterday morning since another one of those cadets was stopping by. Apparently I still have some cache with that group – if only for shock value. The cadet who invited me is now a lieutenant colonel so that is a very aged cache. With the patio work my wife had decreed had to be finished by party time along with the usual assortment of pre-game requirements I wasn’t gallivanting off to socialize.
Sitting Next to My Excellent Boss
The patio was finished a little after noon time and I accomplished the rest of the exponential list with twenty minutes to spare. I was a little gassed by party time but the assemblage of friends had the usual mitigatory effect. It was a very nice gathering including my former Most Excellent Boss and his wife. We’d all been through the “wars” together over the past decade and he wanted to know what the criminal elements at work had been up to over the past few months. It was the perfect kind of gathering where old friends can poke merciless fun at each other without risk of hurt feelings.
Post Dinner Joke Telling
Everybody brought some food and after searing some dead animal flesh on the grill we sat down to dinner on deckzilla. My wife found a suggestion on Pinterest about a natural mosquito barrier that combined mouthwash, Epsom salt, and stale beer. She’d sprayed the entire area with the concoction and it did seem to the pesky skeeters at bay. Japanese beetles however seemed immune to the barrier and regularly dive bombed the group during dessert; nothing to rob the fun of the day though. There might have been a few beers involved.

The Queen and her Court
Everyone was gone by 9:30pm and I fell into a comatose state in the Man Cave supposedly watching the Red Sox out on the west coast. At least I think there was a game on. I awoke this morning to perform my part of the social contract I have with my wife. She prepares all the food for these parties while I am the cleanup crew. A morning FaceTime call with the First Blog Reader shook whatever remaining cobwebs remained from a very full Saturday. She demonstrated her new milk drinking glass and her undying devotion to Elmo. We then called my Favorite Son who looked none the worse for wear after hosting a similar party with his friends yesterday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment