Saturday, July 8, 2017

Population Reduction and Restaurant Follies

At the Airport this Morning
Finally Got him to Smile
Well, we’re down one Panamanian in the house as I just returned from driving my wife’s uncle to the airport for his return trip. I’m going to miss him, especially during lawn mowing as he became my self-appointed electric cord wrangler. It’s going to feel strange not having a long drive to make this weekend, well except for the drive to and from Boston. Last night was a true adventure in the restaurant department. I’d had a challenging week at work with a restive union and departure of a key manager. For those reasons and my usual Friday motivation I made my thirsty way to Brew City only to find it closed!
First Friday in the Cave
They were in the midst of renovations that for some reason they failed to share with me. They promise to be open next week but morale certainly took a huge hit. Since the other participants were in the process of driving there and I didn’t want to spend a lot of time waiting in a rainy parking lot I sent out a message and headed home. My wife, completely knowledgeable on the intrinsic importance of First Friday broke out some snacks and beer and we occupied the Man Cave by brute force. That turned out to be a lot of fun because she is truly the life of my life-long party.
BRotehr and Sister at Oli's Last Night
Since this was her Tio’s last night in country we planned on taking him out to dinner at one of our favorite local places – Val’s. We arrived there, in the midst of a FaceTime call with our granddaughter, only to find the parking lot empty which meant Val’s was also closed. I wasn’t a huge fan of our luck at that point. We turned around and started towards Worcester as the Panamanians conferred and finally decided Italian fare was the call. I put out a couple of alternatives and a decision was finally (and exhaustively) made. We ended up at Oli’s Italian Eatery which is close to the house. We made a 45 minute drive to get there with all the diversions.
A Few Fridays Ago
The trip to the airport this morning went flawlessly as my wife’s luggage packing process had her uncle fully prepared to deal with weight restrictions. He came with one suitcase and is leaving with two fully packed (read bulging) suitcases and two small carry on suitcases (also bulging). If nothing else Panamanians can truly shop. We watched him through security which was an adventure given all the bells and whistles he acquired during his stay. I’m going to miss him.

And of course the daily dose of New Jersey perfection:



No comments:

Post a Comment