Friday, July 21, 2017

Maine Sneak

Panamanians Invade the Great State of Maine - Surreptitiously!
After another thrilling day at work wrestling with some new software I returned home to an empty house. This has been the norm since the arrival of my mother in law since she and my Favorite Panamanian like to spend time together, shopping. I assumed this was the case again and threw myself into my patio project. This meant another two trips to Home Depot by my highly stressed Camry. I learned one of the bedrock truths of life – stone is heavy. I could have used a much younger version of my back as I made the dozens to trips to and from the car to relieve it of its overload. I finished the underlayment of stone and as I was spreading it I was struck by the irony of importing more stones into the back yard after struggling to remove so many over the past year. I guess these go down as tame rocks as opposed to their evil, undomesticated cousins lurking just below the surface to deflect shovels.
The Fabric Cover 

As Far as I got with the Border
After spreading the rocks I covered them with fabric which will serve as the final layer before the patio stones and pea stones (yes, more stones). I was so glad it wasn’t a windy day which would have made that process a lot more challenging. The final step was digging in the border barrier which I hoped to complete last night. Unfortunately the wild cousin rocks raised their demented presence repeatedly and I only got two thirds of the way around before the darkness and mosquitoes drove me inside. I hope to finish the border tonight which will be interesting since it will be done following First Friday. I can see future years trying to explain why the final third isn’t as straight as it should be.
Queen for the Day

And Every Day
I was on my way home from my second trip to Home Depot when my daughter and granddaughter called. My granddaughter immediately began questioning why my wife wasn’t at my side. I told her I would also like to know but assumed she was out shopping. My daughter then chimed in that she had just spoken to my missing spouse and reported she was in Maine! I chuckled in anticipation as to how a simple shopping trip evolved into a three state run would be explained.
Seems to Have Quite the Social Life 

I didn’t have long to wait since she called shortly after my return. She reported the Neighborhood Mafioso and she decided to show my mother-in-law Ogunquit, Maine and just took off. It took my wife three tries to pronounce it correctly and I, in a momentary lack of good judgement reported that I once got engaged in Ogunquit, and not to my wife. Distance saved me from immediate repercussions for retaining this knowledge. They eventually returned in time for my wife to point out the mistakes I was making with my backyard project.

Mafioso and Mom in Law


Ogunquit Scenes
She sent me some pictures this morning to put on the blog and one of them looks eerily similar to the place I made that unfulfilled proposal. I’m sorry but some things just don’t fade with time. I’ve only performed that act that twice in my entire life. I didn’t deserve either of the two women involved and I should point out that they both said yes. Looking forward to this weekend since Saturday involves a reunion barbecue on Deckzilla with my former Most Excellent Boss.
Eerie Photo Location

No comments:

Post a Comment