Friday, July 7, 2017

PC Memories

Bouncy Girl
No, I’m not talking about political correctness because as you should know by now – not a subject I can remain coherent while discussing. I’m talking about Panama City, Panama which holds a very special place in my heart, at least the 1980s version of that teeming metropolis. I spent some of the most important years of my life there as I served as a young lieutenant and figured out I might just stick with the military as a career. This stemmed from my first infantry assignment and discovering how rewarding spending time with infantry Soldiers was, even in the verdant hellhole that was the Panamanian jungle. My fellow lieutenants and I cut a fairly wide swath through the female population of PC before my Favorite Panamanian arrived to save me from life of debauchery. We had our first home together in PC and welcomed our daughter who was born in the Army hospital that sat on Ancon Hill overlooking PC. So by way of introduction I’ve always had a very warm spot in my heart for the city.
Panama City in the 1980s
Same Place Today
A friend recently posted some pictures of Panama City from the 1980s which I devoured in search of the thousands of memories associated with them. The PC I knew and loved is gone forever (funny how time works) as it has been swallowed into a megacity of soaring skyscrapers, burgeoning population and seemingly endless traffic jams. Each time I return I can see the vestiges of that old, beloved city where so much of my future life was determined but I try to escape as quickly as possible because it’s not the same place anymore. I’ve posted the pictures from the 1980s along with what the same places look like now to demonstrate how much it has changed.
1980s Albrook - Where I met my Wife

Same Place Now - a Mega Mall and Transportation Center

1980s Avenida Balboa

Ave Balboa Today

At Night From Other Direction

The Amador Causeway in 1980s Where I Spent So Many Sundays

Same Place Now

This is Same Section Seen in 1980s Photo

It's Developed a Little


I had a late day at work yesterday and returned to a house empty of the resident Panamanians as they were attending a mafia dinner in Worcester. Since I was at loose ends I went with my default behavior and snuck out to the movies. The Hero is a perfect movie for Sam Elliott because this film about an aging former western actor dealing with a devastating health diagnosis fits him like a glove. He’s a shadow of his former self and wants desperately to rectify some of the larger mistakes he’s made in life including his relationship with his estranged daughter. The movie doesn’t go for cheap thrills but relies on Elliott’s undeniable screen presence and velvet voice to provide the proper gravitas. I’m rapidly approaching the same age and his consternation with the finality of time as it dwindles was heartbreaking, maybe for personal reasons.

And of course the daily dose of New Jersey perfection along with a fashion explosion on the golf course courtesy of none other than Wingman:
The Little Girl Born on Ancon Hill With her Daughter

Wingman (r) a Golf Course Fashion Explosion

Bouncing Lessons from my Granddaughter

Don't Worry Grampa - You'll Get it Eventually

No comments:

Post a Comment