Thursday, December 1, 2016

Cave In

I finally persuaded my Favorite Panamanian to take a break from Christmas decorating and spend some time in the Man Cave last night. It required a few extra blankets since I haven’t deigned to turn on the heat down there yet. It’s electric heat versus the rest of the house which is gas. I’ve found that it actually starts to heat up after a couple hours, of course that could be the cumulative effects of a heavy mouth breathing dog (amongst his other emissions). Not something I want to think too hard on.
She immediately wounded my pride when she saw the movie I wanted to watch together. I’m heavily into nostalgia with my recent birthday haul and purchased a bunch of movies from the 1960s and 1970s. She squawked that she didn’t like “old time movies” which did absolutely nothing for my morale or creeping feelings of mortality. She did hang around though but spent most of the movie surfing Facebook and the omnipresent “What’s Up” app on her smart phone. She emerged from her electro-magnetic daze late in the movie to decry the ending which was kind of ludicrous. I tried to take the high road and point out she wasn’t authorized to comment since she hadn’t watched any of the movie. We can all imagine how well that comment went over.
We did get serial FaceTime calls in with each of our “kids” while we were down there. After the acclaimed response to her use of “Oh No” (her first sentence) my granddaughter has added that to her assortment of funny faces and peekaboo games we engage with each day. I’m so thankful her parents are willing to let us spend the time with her daily exchanging nonsensical faces. The Favorite Son is on the verge of regaining a normal life after the past few years with a commute from hell each day to Boston. He now works fairly normal hours and I could tell how happy both he and the ABFA were with that development.

The biggest task I have in front of me is collecting Christmas lists from everybody involved in what is shaping up to be a Christmas for the ages as we establish a new tradition in Portsmouth that will hopefully outlast me. Of course I look so forward to Christmas each year that this isn’t a big reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment