Friday, December 9, 2016

Descent into Cold

Missed My Daily Video Call with this Vision
I’m fresh off yet another Wonder Pooch induced ass chewing. After I depart each morning I’ve left him to his own devices since the Favorite Panamanian is back in residence. Apparently he took his newly acquired daytime freedom to take a nap on my wife’s new couch. Black Lab + White Couch = Big Problem for said Lab’s owner. He’s crafty enough to usually dismount from places he shouldn’t be on but the new couch is so comfortable he fell deep asleep until awakened by an irate Panamanian woman with murderous intent in her eyes. I’ve been tasked with vacuuming the new couch now – thanks Buddy.
She's Very Busy
I was remiss in not reporting my latest medical update; something the Great Aunt will take me task for not talking about. Fortunately I passed last week’s annual physical and attendant probing of the nether regions with flying colors. The doctor was very pleased with the lab results and said we’ll try to get one more year out of my right knee. Speaking of Great Aunt, she wasn’t so fortunate in the knee department which will require replacement parts this coming May.
Places to Go
I missed out on the nightly granddaughter video call last night because the movie ran long. I’m relieved that at least the movie was worth the pain in not seeing this vision of loveliness for one night. We went to see Manchester by the Sea which is every bit as good as you have no doubtedly heard about. I worry when a film is so exhaustively praised that there is no way it will live up to its reputation. Manchester does and then some. A stark story of a very damaged man working as a janitor in Boston who’s called back to Manchester when his brother dies. The barren, cold, winter landscape of Manchester mirrors the seemingly soul-dead janitor. This movie should be a film school standard on the skillful use of flashback scenes to explain how the janitor evolved into what he’s become. Casey Affleck is absolutely perfect as the severely damaged lead trying to maintain his thin hold on sanity and not give into the rage barely held back. The crushing seminal event is exposed about halfway through the movie to perfect effect.

The summary so far may sound depressing but there’s a surprising amount of subtle humor laced throughout and you eventually can’t help but understand and sympathize with Affleck’s character. While everyone will point to the scene with his ex-wife for drama, I liked the scenes involving Affleck and his on screen nephew who trying to deal with the death of his father, a really weird uncle/guardian, and usual teenage drama. The plot doesn’t go for any grand gestures and felt more like a true life – a tragic story of family. There are some things you never recover from and while that’s painful to see it’s understandable. One of the best movies I’ve seen in a very long time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment