Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Cookies Commence and Monster Win

The Cookie Master
I’ve never denied being wholly and unutterably committed to enjoying the Christmas season in all its schmaltzy glory. One of the key events of the season commenced yesterday with the traditional opening of the Christmas cookie baking season or as it is known around our house – sore hands time. Sore hands because I’m an unrepentant stealer of cookies and my wife has inherited my mother’s former role of disabusing me of my absconding ways by hitting the hand surreptitiously reaching for an unprotected cookie.
Best of the Christmas Cookies!
Since it was a snowy/rainy day yesterday she spent the entire time in the kitchen concocting the sublime mixtures that define the season in some ways. You just cannot beat the smell of cookies baking and I swear I put on three pounds just inhaling when I walked in from work. It was that good. I offered to pitch in and help (yes, I had ulterior motives) so she could watch the Patriots game with me later. It wasn’t much of a break for her since she had to remain vigilant as to my maneuvers around the finished product.
Favorite Son and Riggins Also Christmas Cookie-ing
The cookie tradition is also in full bloom up in New Hampshire where my Favorite Son is in baking mode, ably assisted by the redoubtable Riggins. His kitchen is only partially complete in terms of renovation so her had jury rig some counter space but the peanut butter blossoms and sugar cookies were successfully achieved.
The Kazoo Twins
We had some really funny moments with the First Blog Reader yesterday. Wingman posted several incredibly funny videos of their mutual adventures yesterday, everything from ball tossing to basketball shots. The funniest however was my granddaughter and the kazoo. Wingman, career musician that he is, is a great teacher, everything from mounting the couch safely to playing catch and now musical instruments. She quickly mastered the instrument, granted her expertise is limited to long blasts quickly followed by uncontrolled laughter at the sound she produced, but it’s a start.
She Loves her Daddy
During our nightly FaceTime call she demonstrated her newly acquired prowess with the kazoo which had both her grandmother and I howling with delight. The best part however was when she handed the kazoo to her mother. Our daughter was still laughing so hard that she couldn’t produce any sound. In a moment I’ll never forget our granddaughter looked at us through the screen and shook her head in disbelief at her mother’s failure. It was way, way too funny.

Mid-Beatdown
The cookies were safely entombed in the freezer, my wife’s final security precaution to insure they survive until Christmas, when we sat down for a critical Patriots game against the hated Ravens from Baltimore. The December Patriots came out and started a severe beat down which had the kind of edge that told you this game meant something special to them. The Ravens started the whole Deflategate fiasco and I’m more than certain Mr. Brady had circled the date of this game when the schedule came out. He was vintage Brady and if not for a rookie inexplicably still being allowed near punts the game would have been a blowout. Just when the Ravens were sniffing around a comeback though Brady stuck a dagger in their throat with a long touchdown pass. Next week in Denver for a rematch with the team that ended the Pats’ season last year. Crunch Time!!!!! Now can anybody tell me how long it takes for cookies to thaw? I guess I’m just going to have to experiment!








No comments:

Post a Comment