Friday, December 2, 2016

Stepping Up

The Superstar
A momentous event took place in California yesterday. I’m somewhat surprised it wasn’t carried on the national media but they’ve got this whole President-Elect Trump thing on their mind so I guess it’s kind of understandable. The First Blog Reader took her first step yesterday! You can now understand my consternation at the lack of Breaking News coverage.
At the Doctor's Office
She had a very busy day yesterday. In addition to taking that first step she had to receive the next series of vaccinations. She once again handled that with her usual aplomb, crying only for two seconds for only one of the shots. She may have inherited the family trait of pain tolerance. She also had a date with Santa and inherited her mother’s reaction to her first Santa, something akin to outright panic. So she’s more terrified of a kindly, white bearded Father Christmas type than having her skin pierced by sharp steel, so she’s got that going for her. She looked devastatingly beautiful in her Christmas outfit. I’m under strict orders not to release any Santa pictures since they will be used in the Christmas card.
Getting Ready to Meet Santa and all the Terror Involved in that
My wife has succumbed to the Christmas spirit which we all know means “shopping”. She and the neighborhood Mafioso disappeared for the entire day yesterday. She wasn’t home for lunch or when I returned from work. She even missed the nightly FaceTime call with the granddaughter. She was definitively in “the mode”. I was in a semi-conscious state in the Man Cave when Buddy cooked off upstairs and acted as if an army of squirrels had invaded late last night. It was just my absent wife ferrying loads of spoils from the Mafioso’s car to the front porch. I was summoned outside because there was too much for a single person to carry. She may have worn out a couple credit cards in her travels yesterday which is fine because it’s part of what I love about Christmas.
Combing her Hair
I didn’t miss the FaceTime call because I needed to congratulate my granddaughter on her momentous accomplishment. She was a little grouchy at first which I quickly ascribed to the shots received and terrorizing at the hands of Chris Cringle. She didn’t replicate the first step for me but when Wingman asked her to stand up she almost sprung to her feet. I was amazed but of course that’s a low threshold whenever this young lady is involved.

I had a very good day at work as the woman I’m hiring to replace me in my old job showed up for her interview with the political leadership. As anticipated she passed with flying colors and will be working one day a week for the next month as she dis-engages from her current job. It’s kind of weird that I’ll be her boss now because she was my boss when I started work here after leaving the Army. Oh, and today just happens to be the first Friday of the week and we all know what that means! YEAH!!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment