Monday, December 12, 2016

Wonder Land

Wife Showing Off Some of her Conquests Last Night
So, we received our first significant snowfall of the year. It was a measly four inches which would have paralyzed the National Capitol Region but I was proud of my fellow New Englanders who took it in stride. Schools were delayed two hours but the roads were cleared and it was an easier commute this morning – no school buses dontcha know.
Driveway After Clearing Today
Despite an overwhelming belief on the part of most people who know me I am not capable of doing something smart, I was following the weather reports which said the snow would change over to rain around 6:30am. I’m still amazed they are capable of doing that nowadays. I deployed the new snow blower just before 6am and it worked like a charm handling the snow flawlessly. I am going to work on my marksmanship though during my first winter at this house. I pummeled the house with a couple sprays and had to redo several areas where I threw snow back onto an area I had already cleared. I even cleared the bottom of the neighbor’s driveway. When you were a kid growing up in New Hampshire whose mother would inevitably get him out of bed in the wee hours to shovel a long driveway and you acquire a snow blower late in life – this is expected. It’s like finally getting over on a lifelong tormentor.
Living Room Gets More Festive Each Day
Yesterday saw the predictable disappearance of my wife into the Christmas shopping vortex. Most people abhor the necessity of wading into that situation. She revels in it, especially because this year she’s shopping for her granddaughter as well. While she did that last year, said granddaughter will be East Coasting for the holiday this year. I was left to me own devices which equally as predictably found me in the Man Cave with the Red Zone. I finally got all the Christmas presents I acquired via Amazon wrapped which took a lot longer than anticipated. My wife returned in the early evening fully flushed with the bargains she had found, yet another flashback to life with my mother growing up, “Such a bargain!”.

Cali-Gals
I received video reports from the bi-coastal child pods. My Favorite Son explained the preparations for the first Christmas in his house. He’s almost as excited as I am at that eventuality. The California pod was typically charming. We’ve developed a new version of peekaboo where I disappear from the screen and then re-enter from different directions, looking like I’m suspended in mid-air. I know it sounds stupid but the granddaughter loves it and I’ve found, as a grandparent, I’m more than willing to make a fool of myself as long as it results in a smile from her.
A New Game Where she Throws the Ball at the Paper-towel Roll and Then Laughs When it Falls

Music Class on Saturday



Play Date on Sunday


No comments:

Post a Comment