Thursday, December 15, 2016

Scheduling Morass And Shopping Disappearance

Grandpa What Does "Bad Hair Day" Mean?
Yesterday was one of the longest days I’ve had since moving to the new facility and that’s quite a statement. I spent the entire day submerged in the scheduling software preparing the needed changes for January. Someone had the bright idea of eliminating a bunch of bus stops which turned out to be a mother of a problem since each of them is geo-coded into the system. I had five different spread sheets to work from as I eased my way through the process over a delightful ten hours.
My Desk Yesterday
I used to revel these type days in my old job because it kept me busy. Staying busy is not a problem now that I’m doing two jobs at once. I also no longer have my strategically isolated office to work from. I love the new corner office with its sweeping views but it also makes it easier for people to stop in and ply me with a host of inquiries and issues. By the end of the day I was delivering the best dead eye stare I could muster to anybody that interrupted me and I think word got out to leave me in peace.
Some Grandpas Get All the Luck
The First Blog Reader was not her usual bubbly self so I got no relief last night during the nightly video call. I really appreciate the fact that her mom makes some time each night for the call despite spending the entire day at work herself. They both looked very tired last night and since the one year old hasn’t acquired a filter yet, well you know. She expressed herself by taking her mother’s IPad and throwing it across the room several times. When my daughter told her she could no longer hold it, cue the meltdown. Even my silliest faces couldn’t calm the situation. It was still a lot of fun though, at least for me. Another benefit of being a grandparent, meltdowns are still firmly within the parental realm of responsibility.
To remind ourselves that this type of behavior, so far, has been rare I offer you two of the videos I can’t stop watching. The first is the famous kazoo video from earlier this week where she’s extraordinarily pleased at her musical prowess. The other is the first documented proof of her recently acquired walking ability. Up to now every time she walked everyone dove for a camera only to fail to capture her ambulatory. Wingman finally succeeded and captured a ten step stroll (she gets full credit for that last one). 
I did the video call by myself because my Favorite Panamanian had disappeared into the area shopping malls. She pays close attention to the weather on the rare occasion she’s in residence this far north during the winter. She noted that Mother Nature will be dropping the hammer on us over the next few days. She does not deign to expose herself to elements during such weather turns and decided she had to accomplish some serious shopping yesterday. Since her IPhone’s battery died, no doubt from serious What’s Upping, she couldn’t report the reason for her absence when I returned to the empty house.

Hitching a Ride
It didn’t take Sherlock Holmes to figure out where she was while Buddy and I returned to the Man Cave for some old movies. She arrived home after ten hours of uninterrupted shopping and still seemed flushed with excitement at the experience. I honestly don’t know how she does it. She walked me through all of her purchases and explained why each was a bargain and the reasoning behind her acquisitions. I don’t know why this is important to her but I have to sit through a complete rendition if I want to maintain peace in the house.





No comments:

Post a Comment