Saturday, December 10, 2016

Friday Funk

Back to the Neighborhood Playground
Anyone who’s read this blog for any amount of time will realize just how much I enjoy Fridays. It’s an almost religious fervor that stayed with me after my Army days where Friday was met uniformly with a celebration of the First Friday of the Week, that is on those Fridays we weren’t tramping about the woods heavily armed. The late afternoon celebrations usually evolved into a late night of partying into the wee hours.
Tossing a Ball Around with Mom
It is therefore with not a little bit of trepidation that I report while I maintain the tradition of the late afternoon celebration the late nights have fallen by the wayside. It’s not from lack of intent. I returned home last night from Brew City and told my wife I was taking her out to dinner and then who knew. She demurred saying she was too tired from, you guessed it, shopping. In an earlier epoch I would have tried to convince her the night was young and so were we. Last night, with overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I meekly accepted the idea of staying in for the night as the work week had extracted its usual toll.
Helping with Christmas Deliveries
On the upside the wife used the dryer yesterday for the first time after the pedestal installation and the house didn’t blow up. I also figured out how to use the electric heat in the Man Cave. I couldn’t get the thermostat to kick on so after putting my glasses on and opening the thing I found my hands awash with leaking battery acid which explained the non-functioning role. After cleaning it out and replacing the batteries it started right up.
How Could we be Related? - She's Choosing to eat Broccoli!
The corollary effect was the presence of my Favorite Panamanian in the Man Cave; something the cold temperatures had prevented. She was busily wrapping Christmas presents and pointing out my shortcomings, so it was kind of a normal Friday night. Her presence however did prevent the watching of last night’s episode of the Exorcist, which was predictable. I think it was the 180 degree head turns that put her off. It was actually kind of fun hanging out with her down there last night; I guess I am getting old.

Watching the Neighborhood Walk By
The First Blog Reader nightly video call retuned with a vengeance last night. She’s feeling much better as some of those pesky teething teeth finally emerged from the gum line. She was motoring around the apartment and took us in while she interrupted Wingman’s nap so she could take up station to watch the neighborhood go by in the bedroom window. I honestly don’t know how grandparents with distant grandchildren survived before the advent of FaceTime. I feel guilty at the distance I inflicted on my mother during the military career. 










No comments:

Post a Comment