Thursday, January 28, 2016

Seven Days Out and Getting Dirty

Dude - I am ready for the Tropical Sun
A week from today I’ll be winging my way towards ten days in Panama getting re-acquainted with a certain Favorite Panamanian. We’ll be joined in short order by my son, the ABFA, the ABFA’s parents, Wingman, Cali-Daughter and of course the pièce de résistance – our granddaughter! It’s hard not to get excited about the prospect of all these critical elements to my happiness gathered in one location. Not that it needed any help but that location is a tropical paradise stocked with some of the nicest people in the world. I predict almost non-stop laughter.
Her Grandmother Was at the Beach Yesterday
I received updates from the California contingent yesterday with the First Blog reader modeling some of her tropical gear. In a FaceTime call later I swear she was actually responding to my voice – that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I had forgotten how fast they develop in these first months. Somehow, against all odds, she’s figured out a way to be cuter each day. It’s almost scary if this trend continues unabated.
A Lady Needs a Sun Hat as Well

Sunset in Panama Yesterday



We’re in the midst of political inundation as the nearby New Hampshire primary wends towards its final days. Something I’ve noticed is the trivialization of the office of the President. It might be a victim of the information age with the nearly constant news cycle stripping away any mystery or majesty. I look at the current list of candidates and cringe. If you have a loud enough voice and “celebrity” credentials – you’re qualified. There’s almost no discussion as to whether a candidate is actually intelligent enough or experienced both in domestic and foreign policy issues to excel at the job. The polarization of national politics with the curse of the two parties unable to work with each other had led to leading candidates consolidating either end of the spectrum and then working towards the middle where I’ still connived most Americans abide. Sadness.
I went to see Dirty Grandpa last night which had some disturbing similarities to someone I know. Deniro plays a retired Army officer trying to mold the future of his grandson. Zac Efron is unfortunate enough to play the grandson because he gets the hell beaten out of him for the entire movie. I know the script will have the PC police out in force but there’s some really funny moments in this. Deniro is excellent as the randy senior citizen cutting a major swath through Jacksonville Spring Break a couple days after losing his wife. Efron’s main job seems to be getting punched and finding ways to lose not only his shirts but his pants repeatedly.
It’s an excellent send up of several aspects of modern life but I’m sure that’ll be lost to most people who will rail against the almost non-stop lack of appropriateness, God forbid we actually offend someone with sarcastic humor. It’s like kids and mud puddles – sometimes it’s just fun to jump right in and get dirty. If you can handle humor that will push your level of discomfort then go see this. If not, run screaming away and I’m sure complaining the entire way.

Further evidence of Californian perfection:








No comments:

Post a Comment