Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Dreams are Made Of

The Two Bands Last Night - Great Seat
I realized a lifelong dream last night and the sublimity of that type triumph cannot be underestimated. I saw a concert involving a bagpipe band. I’ve been a huge fan of bagpipe music for as long as I can remember. My time in the military only enhanced that love. For some benighted reason or another I’d never seen a full concert with one. There’s something almost mystical about the music that calls to a warrior’s soul. It’s always stirred something in me. Of course that love of the pipes is not generally shared with anyone I know. My wife is mystified by it and usually runs screaming from the room if bagpipe music is to be heard.
Royal Marine Band
Last night, with her conveniently (if regrettably) a few thousand miles away, I was free to accomplish the bucket list task. It was not just any band either but one from the sun source of all things bagpipe – Scotland. I was honored to see the Pipes and Drums as well as the Highland Dancers of 1st Battalion Scots Guard of the British Army accompanied by the Band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines Scotland. It was everything I hoped for and more. The opening set included both the Minstrel Boy as well as Men of Harlech. The musicians from both bands were world class. I did a tour in the Old Guard and saw firsthand the best of the US military bands and they were on par in terms of excellence, which is saying a lot.
1st Battalion Scots Guard
The Marine band performed some intricate marching drills on the stage while the pipers of the Scots Guard shook the walls throughout the night. As time has passed and age continues its relentless attack on physical capabilities I’ve felt less and less connected to my former military life. Last night’s concert brought with it the siren call to arms in force. I found myself missing the comradery of wearing the uniform with old friends. I actually watched my posture for the rest of the night more closely; old habits refusing to die.
The Highland Dancers
It was a magical night that only I can understand because no one I know now truly appreciates what it meant for me. The Marine band even played a service melody of the songs for each of the US military services. They asked that veterans of each branch stand when their music was played. I was so enthralled by the music that I forgot to stand when the Army song played; by the time I realized my mistake the band had moved on the Anchor’s Away and there was no way I was standing then.
George Overlooking the Proceedings
There was a narrator, very British, who explained the long history of the military units each band represented, both predate the existence of the United States by centuries. I found it a little eerie to have a huge painting of George Washington overlooking the stage while military units he fought against performed. It’s a striking comment of how the world has changed with Great Britain now our staunchest ally instead of deadly foe. I sometimes find myself lost in history – not an altogether bad thing.
Mechanics Hall from the Outside
The biggest surprise was the venue, Mechanic’s Hall. I’d been by the place literally thousands of times. My company used to have an office on the ground floor and I could never figure out how they had the space for any of the events they advertised. The front of the building looks like just another store front on Worcester’s Main Street. I entered the concert hall for the first time last night and was amazed. It’s located on the second floor and is vast compared to what you would think based on an outside view. The central floor is surrounded by a balcony and paintings of long gone Worcester notables. There was a fairly large stage dominated by the aforementioned Father of our Country as well as another painting of Lincoln.
The Concert Hall
I was sad to leave the show with its clarion call back to my military past but I did walk a little straighter back to the car. Some things are best left in the past but I’ll have a piper at my funeral and hopefully a few more opportunities with pipes and drums before that day comes.

A Year Ago Today, Temps in the 50s Yesterday - Nearly All Snow Melted
Gotta Love New England and El nino
Today’s collection of Californian perfection:






No comments:

Post a Comment