Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Driveway Love

Driveway Last Night
I don’t know if there’s such a thing as driveway love (speaking of the actual driveway, not the end of date nights) but I can honestly state I do. Of course, anything after ten years with the driveway from hell was bound to be an upgrade. We had our first measurable snow of the year last night, only 2 to 3 inches. Even this modest amount would have meant a good hour and a half in my former driveway. Last night after the snow passed I went out and cleared the driveway along with the sidewalks in about ten minutes; like I said, I think its love. I had to get out last night because I heard the next Mafioso out with his machine and knew he would knock out my driveway before I could get to it, pride kicked in.
And This Morning
Mother Nature seems to have taken notice of my new found adoration so She cranked up another old winter friend overnight – wind. I still live on a hilltop and awoke this morning to find a lot of my work had been thwarted by blowing snow. This happened all the time in the old driveway as well but it took me a lot more time than the five minutes this did. Yep, deep and abiding affection, because size does matter.
Wife and Her Dad Cleaning up Oranges Yesterday



My wife had yard work of a decidedly different nature down in Panama. Her parents have an orange tree beside their house which is unusually productive this year. They couldn’t keep up with the bounty and a number of the fruit were lying on the ground which if left would attract pests (all of which bite – a seeming requirement for all of Panamanian fauna). She got out in the yard with her father yesterday to clean up the mess, which I’m sure was a lot of fun. Her father used to take immense pride in the upkeep in his yard and is frustrated with the increasing toll the years have taken on his ability in that area. I think he had a very good day out there yesterday with my Favorite Panamanian.

The highlight of my day was a FaceTime call I answered shortly after dinner only to be confronted with this young lady peering back at me. While most of the conversing went on with her mother I can tell she was actually responding to some of the words she was hearing from Grampa land. I can’t wait to hold her again in a few short weeks. Her mother is entering her final week of maternity leave so there’ll be some major adjustments required. As with everything she’s done so far, I’m sure she’ll handle the challenge with aplomb, just like her mom. Wingman wasn’t around for the call because he was getting his teeth lengthened; still not sure what that meant.

Assisting int he Kitchen With Her WingCat

Out for a Walk with Mom

That's How I Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment