Monday, January 25, 2016

No Excuses

Game Face in Place!
My trip up to Keene to watch the Patriots’ playoff game was certainly not a waste of time. I had the opportunity to hang around with lifelong friends and live through a very exciting game with guys that “get it”. The only problem was the Patriots’ offensive line which was not up to the challenge offered by the Broncos. I was much calmer than usual (and certainly more than my Favorite Panamanian who watched the game in Panama) after such a devastating loss. It’s easier to stomach somehow if the team you’re rooting for is just outplayed and the better team wins. That’s what happened yesterday. Both teams left everything on the field, including various body parts.
Brady was battered all game long as the Bronco’s defensive line seemed to know the snap count better than his own team. I liked the fight in both Brady and Gronk who were in position to tie the game in the final seconds despite the felonious assault Brady underwent to make it happen. It’s going to be a very long winter for the Pat’s kicker who missed an extra point (first time in 523 times) which would have made tying the game infinitely easier. Hats off to the Broncos though, no excuses, they were the better team. The future looks bright for the Pats with a very young and increasingly dominant defense. Brady looks immortal and they’d better draft a couple of tackles because they need some more talent on the offensive line.
It did make for a solemn drive last night but things looked up when I got home. The next door Mafioso, probably the best next door neighbor currently drawing breath, had cleaned the driveway of the snow that fell Saturday night. When I retrieved a very cold Sunday paper from the porch I spied a Tuesday night performance of the drums and pipes of the Scots Guards in Worcester Tuesday night. It’s been a lifelong dream of mine to see this famous British military band or any band with bagpipes for that matter. I always figured I’d have to finesse my way around the Favorite Panamanian because my wife simply does not understand the allure of bagpipe music. I married her despite this failing and since she’s a few thousand miles away – problem solved. I have tickets to the Tuesday night performance – color me psyched.

The California miracle was properly garbed to show her support for the Patriots yesterday and we compared notes prior to the game. We were both too disappointed after the game to FaceTime again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment