Friday, November 27, 2015

Well That Was Fun

There’s going to be a lot of pictures today because there is no way on God’s green earth that I can adequately describe how much fun I had yesterday with my father’s family for our annual Thanksgiving Day gathering. I was feeling a little bit down because neither of my kids, not to mention the ABFA or Wingman, would be joining us. That yawning hole of longing was immediately filled when the door opened and I was swarmed by the inevitable company of cousins. Just something special about cousins.
Me With one of the Breakout Stars of the Pub Crawl

Sister and Brother in Law With us At Last

Wife with Favorite Cousin - Aieee Chihuahua

Our Table - One of Four
Just the medicine, as well, for vanquishing any thoughts that the day would be anything but sublime. I don’t see most of these people except for this one day a year and there is no awkwardness whatsoever – guess that’s called family.
The Young'uns Table

The Slightly Less Young
I was still dealing with an immense blow to my sense of the world as well. My elder sister was joining us for the first time in many years and I left a message Wednesday night reminding her of the time to be here for the journey north. For the very first time in recorded history was my time challenged sister not only on time she was more than twenty minutes early. I’m still in awe. Of course I received some return fire last night when she called to remind me what time I am expected at her abode today.

The Best Looking Table
 
Sister and Bro in LAw
There’s a rhythm to Thanksgiving and being around my cousins was exactly what was needed. The time flies at exponential speeds during the gathering. This year was special because there was serial viewing of all the pictures of the newest addition to the family, my granddaughter, as well as blow by blow accounts of the recently concluded birthday pub crawl. As we sat down for dinner the head cousin made the usual announcements and then introduced my granddaughter (in absentia of course) and the announcement of her name, with its family pride unmistakable, the entire room cheered.
The Star of the Announcement Yesterday

Decked Out for her First Turkey Day
This family gathering has been going on since well before my birth, dating back to my father’s family of incredible brothers and sisters. They’re all gone (except for a couple in laws) now but 15 out of the surviving 19 cousins were present yesterday, testimony to the enduring love those brothers and sisters instilled in the subsequent generation. Cousins traveled from Oregon, Colorado, Minnesota, West Virginia, as well as the more modest efforts of the New Englanders to the location for the last decade or so – Hancock, New Hampshire. It was so special.
Scenes from Football Game

Just a Flesh Wound

One More Year
There was the obligatory family football game with the usual tenuous grasp of football rules. It was too much fun. The group decided the two oldest participants would be captains and choose teams. I was looking around until I realized I was one of them, dammit. The game was the usual chaos with everybody laughing almost non-stop. I really am getting too old to play on the uneven field but I’m too stubborn to abandon it, despite repeated reminders from my knee. It’s something I don’t want to let go of. Kind of the same feeling I have when I’m forced by the march of the clock to leave this event each year. I’m already looking forward to next year.

California Thanksgiving

Two Beautiful Young Ladies

Wingman Explaining the Importance of Thanksgiving Football

Favorite Son with ABFA and Her Fantastic Family
We received reports from both children. My granddaughter held court for her first Thanksgiving, remaining awake and in wonder at all this weird solid food people around her were shoveling into their mouths. She did have the benefit (medicinal I’m certain) of at least one grandparent in attendance. My son was enjoying the day with the incomparable family of the ABFA but we get him back today. I’ve included some other photos from my far flung family because it looks like everybody had a good day and yesterday is about family more than anything else and I’m giving thanks that I’ve got the one I do.
My Other Sister and Her Newest Granddaughter & Namesake -
Glad She had Her Immediate Family Around Her Yesterday

Meanwhile - In Rhode Island Namesake Nephew Was Celebrating
The Force is Strong in this One

No comments:

Post a Comment