Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Memory Fraught

Colors Starting to Fade out Back
Today’s complete intertwined with memories. This would have been my mother’s 82nd birthday but she never made it to her 71st. A complicated woman does not begin to describe her and the turmoil of her later years have graciously faded, allowing me to remember the brilliant “Mom” of my youth. She of the indescribable chocolate chip cookies, a ready laugh, a love of the written word and occasionally even tossing the odd Cantankerous Friend into a snow bank when he failed to say hello. Happy Birthday Mom – I wish you could see the adults those two grandkids of yours developed into. Rest well.
Mom and I
Today is also Panamanian Independence Day. I could never have predicted that small, beautiful country would become so intertwined in my life when I first set foot there in 1981. When Army friends heard I was being assigned there, all of them said, almost to a man, its hot but it also has the most beautiful women in the world. They were right on both accounts and less than a year later I found myself married to one of those beauties.
It’s been over 30 years since I discovered Panama and my Favorite Panamanian’s eyes still flash. I love going back there because of the people, especially my wife’s family and the incredible power of almost non-stop laughter. Life is so much richer when you spend a majority of the time laughing with it. So Happy Birthday Panama! Thanks for lending me one of your most divine exports. She is truly the salsa of life.
Speaking of said salsa she was hard at work over in the weekend in California creating empanadas (yet another welcome export of Panama). My daughter’s cat was fascinated with the process while standing in at Buddy’s normal post. The WingMan arrives back in L.A. today from his tour so he’ll be there for the birth of the First Blog Reader. I know there was a huge sigh of relief from a certain tour bus that no early arrivals manifested; so happy for them right now.
Pee Wee Admiring Panamanian Culture

May Have Gone Overboard Today

No comments:

Post a Comment