Sunday, November 8, 2015

Portsmithing Spectre

I’ve just returned from an all too short but completely enjoyed time with my favorite son and the ABFA. I made the drive up yesterday after I assiduously addressed the aquatic needs of my wife’s vast house plant collection. My biggest fear is that she’ll return to find any of them in distress. My expertise extends only as far as depositing occasional water.
The Bougainvilleas Are Taking over the Dining Room
Buddy and I arrived to find the sought out couple completely ready to squire us around the port city. Before we left my son showed me the impressive spider graveyard he’s building in his basement. I think it’s some kind of new age fashion statement. Buddy was left in charge of home security after registering his standard complaint about being left behind. We scored a quick lunch before heading out to find a local showing of the new James Bond movie. It’s always nostalgic to return to the Portsmouth area where I did so much running around during my college days. The first theater we tried was adjacent to the mall (at least it used to be a mall) where I bought my first engagement ring (the unsuccessful one). Even the ABFA is nodding sagely when I start wandering down memory lane. I think my son has prepped her.
Yesterday's Crew
That movie theater had specific seating and was packed so we left the land of the failed ring for another theater on the other side of Portsmouth. Old friend Cinemagic, they of Charlton home fame, recently built a state of the art theater in Portsmouth and had plenty of seats available. The ABFA abandoned us there because she wanted to meet with their local home decorator before my son could. He’s used to dealing forcefully with sub-contractors on his job and was prepared to engage the underperforming decorators with several broadsides. The ABFA, made of more moderate temperament, chose this opportunity to steal a march on him. She also let Buddy take her for a walk while we were in the movie.
My Wingman Yesterday
I’d heard dire things about Spectre from certain California elements but both my son and I really enjoyed this latest 007 outing. When I heard Sam Mendes was directing Skyfall I was concerned he would go all artsy and abandon the time tested Bond formula for success. I was wrong as Skyfall was fantastic. He was apparently emboldened by his success there because there were several elements to Spectre which I found annoying. One of the signature aspects of a Bond film are the exotic locales but Mendes had the background out of focus. A lot fo the movie was out of focus and blurry – I assumed intentionally. He also used one of the most irritating techniques in modern filmmaking (something I thought was abandoned in the 1980s) – using dust rising from most interior scenes.
All this being said and the complete lack of chemistry between Bond and the leading lady I really liked the movie. A fantastic opening sequence in Mexico was followed with an engaging plot as Bond walked the clues back to head of a secret organization bent on world domination. Along the way there were constant odes to prior incarnations of 007 ranging as far back as Dr. No and From Russia with Love to more modern versions. I’m kind of a nut about James Bond so I relished this aspect. I’ll buy the movie when it comes out to see if I can spot more that I’m sure I missed. The more I thought of it though is seemed like a sendoff salute. I’ve heard rumors that Daniel Craig is giving up his Walther but I hope Bond will return, because even that signature announcement was missing from the end credits.
Pubcrawl Attire 101
The ABFA returned from her Buddy/decorating experiences to deliver us to parking barren Portsmouth. Along the way we passed by a true hallmark of my youth that I had all but forgotten about. While the restaurant itself is long gone the trademark sign for Yoken’s Seafood Restaurant still proudly stands as it more than 50 years ago when my mother would get my sisters and I all amped up for a visit to this iconic seafood restaurant. I was into whales at the time. Whenever we were in the sea coast region she always made a point of stopping by. It was a nice stride down memory lane, once again, with the well tolerated (by my companions) attendant stories.
"Thar She Blows" Sign fro Yoken's
After finding a mysterious parking spot we ambled through the thriving central district of Portsmouth – a real social Mecca nowadays. My son guessed I would enjoy visiting a place called the Brgr Bar. I guess they are vowel challenged but this burger bar was outstanding, if a little packed. The best part was chilling with the ABFA and my favorite son as they caught me up on the comings and goings of their very busy life.
Brgr Bar
After dinner and several beers of Alagashian origin (I’m going to have to remember that brand) it was off again through the bars of central Portsmouth. My son once again demonstrated his all too familiar knowledge of his father and we ended up on the second floor of Fat Belly’s with their famous (to me) ice bar. The conversation, which in reality is what pub crawls are all about, continued as we also saw the valiant Bruins try once again to vanquish the hated Montreal Canadiens. (that’s all I’ll say about that).

Since we didn’t want to tempt Buddy’s bladder any further we went home with the intention of video calling those Spectre hating Californians. That was the true highlight of the day as my Favorite Panamanian, the Cali-Daughter and Wingman were all in one place and it was so cool to have the mini-family reunion while we were still 3000 miles apart. Buddy and the Cali-Cat renewed their disdain for each other electronically. We ended the night watching a really bad horror movie and some really good college football. It was the kind of day I didn’t want to let go of, entirely because of the people I was blessed to spend it with. So Pub Crawl #1 of the birthday march is complete.
The Two People Who Made Yesterday So Special at the Ice Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment