Sunday, November 22, 2015

Diasporing

Saying Some Heart-wrenching Goodbyes
“Then, depression set in”, spake the wise John Winger once upon a cinematic time. I know what he means. I was brutally separated from my newly formed granddaughter addiction by the vagaries of time and distance. Since I ostensibly have a life back here on the East Coast (although somewhat dimmed by Californian events over the past ten days) I had to return in the wee hours of this morning to New England.
Trying on Some of her New Wardrobe
The only upside was the return of my other half with me. The Favorite Panamanian is back at her post ably supervising the mundane details of my day to day life. As an infamous US naval personage once remarked, a line officer needs a good staff officer to keep him organized. While I don’t ascribe to this flawed line of thought it is good to have my commander in chief back on station.
The New Mom On Duty
Our flight didn’t leave L.A. until late afternoon so we got another half day with the California miracle known as the First Blog Reader. She tried on her first dress, purchased in my wife’s Thursday shopping spree. I’m not allowed to show it to you (for wifely reasons related to Christmas photos) but suffice it say, there were a lot of “ahhs” expended. Spending the past few days with this little marvel was about as much fun as humanly possible. The best part though was seeing my daughter and Wingman growing into their roles as new parents. I’m astounded at how well prepared they were and not a little bit chagrined at my performance a few decades ago in comparison. My granddaughter is in the best possible hands.
I tried to kid myself into thinking I could move to LA after meeting my granddaughter. That fantasy took a serious hit when Wingman drove us to the airport. The one biggest reason we didn’t settle in the DC area after retiring from the military was the traffic and LA dwarfs Washington when it comes to gridlock. The massive LA highway system moved at a snail’s pace even on an unremarkable Saturday afternoon. I don’t think I could subject myself to that but that new granddaughter has already demonstrated a remarkable ability to influence thinking.
Schooling her Grandfather

Didn't Want to Let Go

I was Eventually Convinced 
We were forced by price and schedule to use American Airlines for the trip back, something I’ve assiduously avoided based on their ingrained lack of customer friendly service. They were well on their way to convincing me they had changed their ways. We left on time, the boarding was well organized, the seats as comfortable as coach can be, and we weren’t insulted by the flight crew – this counts as a win for American. Then we arrived back in Boston around 1:00am and the renowned luggage handling expertise of American manifested itself. I think I speak for the entire crowd I waited with, that 40 minutes after landing is way, way too long to have the first bags emerge on the carousel; especially when it’s in the very early morning hours. American Airlines – you almost fooled me into thinking you’d changed your ways.

All that being said, basking in the afterglow of granddaughter, daughter, and Wingman time got us through the frustrating wait as my wife reacquainted herself with non-California weather. The drive home was blessedly fast, especially since my co-pilot was back in place chattering away for the entire trip (funny, the things you miss). We arrived home to find out mailbox had been knocked down but the house was intact and I survived the initial inspection of what my month long bachelorhood had wrought. Although I do hear her yelling just now from upstairs about how dirty the shower is. I can only claim if it was perfect, she would suspect I called someone in to clean.

I miss my granddaughter and those other beloved Californians.
Some More Photos from My LA Field Trip with Wingman



No comments:

Post a Comment