Tuesday, November 10, 2015

L.A. State of Mind

Daughter with the Two Soon to Be Named Grandmas
Today is supposed to be the day the First Blog reader makes his dramatic entry into the world. No news yet on this scheduled due date and my mind has been almost constantly on the left coast over the past few days. His mother (but certainly not his grandmother) is always so punctual that I expected to wake up to news of a hospital trip overnight. It’s scary to think he/she may have inherited my wife’s promptness gene.
L.A. Lunch
I was in a quandary regarding my Favorite Panamanian’s Christmas gift this year because I wanted to get her the latest I-Phone to replace her aged (all of four years old now!) version. She and I are fairly typical of our generation in being daunted by technology. Of course my wife, since it was a phone, took to smart phone technology like a duck to the proverbial water. I was concerned with 2/3 of our normal techno-gurus (daughter and Wingman) being 3000 miles away and not available for the needed programming of any new phone.
Wife with her Christmas Present
I solved that yesterday with an early gifting of the phone with the gadgeteers at her side insuring the phone was all set up. She had apparently exhausted the capability of the old phone – didn’t know there was a word limit, if so, I’m surprised it took her four years to reach it (I would have guessed six months on the outside). I was amazed at how much clearer the new phone was when we talked. I’ll now be able to understand instructions better (not sure if that’s a good thing).
Griffith Observatory

L.A. View
Since my daughter is now on maternity leave, having worked up until last Friday, they got into labor inducing measures. As I said above, punctuality is important to my daughter (again from my side of the gene pool). After they escaped the Apple Store they took the two imminent grandmothers (Wingman’s mom arrived on Sunday) for a walk around the Griffith Observatory overlooking L.A. It’s a short drive from their home and offers some breathtaking views as well as hiking trails.


Movie geek that I am I immediately flashed back to the many movies that have been shot up there. The actual observatory was closed since they were shooting either another movie or a TV show on site. My daughter was laughing because she was trying to explain to my mother who James Dean was. While I felt terrible about my failure to properly indoctrinate her mother over our many years of marriage concerning proper Hollywood iconography, it was clear they had a very good time.

Wife Meeting James Dean

Two Beautiful Ladies

She's Gone Predictably Hollywood
So, I’m on serious pins and needles here awaiting the sought after call announcing that I’m a grandfather. When the First Blog Reader gets around to reading this in a couple decades – know that you were very dramatic about your timing but highly anticipated. Your parents are continuing the labor inducing measures although they didn’t take me up on the suggested jumping jacks. I think it was a California thing.
An Early Pre-Tattooed Picture of Wingman Has Surfaced!

Today's Fashion Explosion - I'm receiving Passing Grades So Far
However I'm Still Wearing Summer Colors on Some Days Which is Apparently a Faux Pas
Who Knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment