Monday, November 16, 2015

Solituding Recovery

My Granddaughter has a Guardian Attack Cat
There were a couple birthdays when I was in the Army and deployed overseas that were more solitary than yesterday but I think that was it. Of course the lack of human contact yesterday was more than redeemed by the elegance and sensory overload that defined Saturday’s epic pub crawl. Keene Friend and I bid adieu yesterday morning to my favorite son who snuck away to nurse his wounds with the ABFA whilst we beat back some of the demon aftereffects with grand slam breakfasts. Before leaving Keene even my cousin resurrected himself long enough to stop by and bid adieu.
The Two Grammas Comparing Notes over Wine

The New Mom Multi-Tasking
I would have loved to stay and watch the Patriots game with the Keene Friends but I’ve got a bad history of watching the Patriots versus the Giants at that place and I had the usual thousand little things that needed doing back home in preparation for the work week. I considered the birthday celebrations of Saturday more than adequate to recognize the day of my birth, especially combined with the dozen or so other celebrations of my 60th birthday that went down over the past month or so.
Wingman is on the Job
My wife and the California contingent made a gallant effort to alleviate some of the solitude with a couple phone calls as did friends/family from all over New England and as far away as Panama. More than anything else though, it was the Saturday spent with good friends that made any attempt at self-pity yesterday unthinkable. I was still in full basking-in-the-afterglow mode yesterday. I also had the birthday gifts my wife had strategically hidden around the house which she revealed to me over the weekend. She rightfully assumed the thoroughness of my housecleaning didn’t threaten their hiding places.
A Couple of my Birthday Presents

The Patriots did their part as well with a stirring come from behind victory over the one team that has tormented them over the past decade. A last minute field goal saved the undefeated revenge tour and doing it in New York was a little sweeter. Losing Edelman for any length of time is definitely going to hurt though. I wonder how many more hits they can take and keep producing. There’s one over the top Giants fan I would have loved to be with when that field goal sailed through the uprights but I’m sure he’s in deep hiding down in Rhode Island.
Sweeeeet!!!!!
Today’s a big day for another reason my sister and my sister in law both celebrate birthdays today. I’ve written before just how special my older (and infinitely wiser) sister is. She’s tolerated me ever since I crashed her first birthday party. She’s a gentle soul with an iron core; one of the toughest people I’ve ever met. So happy birthday Miss Oh So Perfect, I hope you get to fully enjoy your day, thank you for helping make Saturday everything is could have hoped to be.

Sister and I From a "Few" Years Ago
My sister in law is the designated family flirt. The youngest of my wife’s siblings and the one usually responsible for starting the laughter my wife’s family is almost constantly afflicted with. It’s taken her a while to forgive me for stealing away her favorite sister to the cold North but she is always one of the highlights of our trips to Panama. Feliz Cumpleanos to my Queridissima Hermanita! 
Sister in Law Posing

No comments:

Post a Comment