Thursday, November 19, 2015

Heart Loss

Yep, I'm Your Grandpa
All of you who are sick and tired of hearing me crow about my new granddaughter should stop reading at this point; it’s about to get really thick. In order to meet this remarkable young lady I had to get up at 3:00am to journey to Boston. This wouldn’t have been as problematic if I didn’t stay up until 11:30pm Tuesday night looking for my airplane ticket. Yeah I know it’s all electronic now but it’s still kind of important to know what time your plane is scheduled to leave. It only took twenty minutes listening to musak waiting for an actual human on the American Airlines customer “service” line.
Wingman! Definitely not in New England Anymore
I did find the drive into Boston at 3am a lot less fettered than the usual kicking and punching. Logan is so much easier to get to since the Big Dig (yes something good did come out of that fiasco). The wait for the bus in the frigid temps weren’t that bad. I think it’s all about the destination. When you have something so highly anticipated waiting for you – getting there is almost fun. I swore I would never fly American Airlines (and their legendary customer service) again but they were the most convenient and cheap so I abandoned my lofty principles in the wake of those facts.
The "Highly Anticipate" Part - All of 1 Week Old
I’m only coming for three days so I thought I could get away with a small backpack (my wardrobe will never make any best dressed lists) but that was before the baby gifts starting appearing from friends and family requiring  full sized suitcase. The new daddy, Wingman his own self, was waiting for me at LAX and we were shortly on the road to Glendale.
But Of Course She's Perfect!
It seemed every place we drove by reminded me of some movie scene (movie geek that I am). La La land is like that. Wingman spent the time we negotiated the traffic through central LA with a blow by blow description of my granddaughter’s birth day, eerily reminiscent of her mother’s own arrival. After driving by a series of motels I’m sure were in the last Ray Donovan season we turned into some beautiful tree lined streets and the meeting with the First Blog Reader. She was generously awake when we walked in and I was genuinely overcome immediately upon meeting her. I’ve written before that I didn’t think I’d have this experience again. That special feeling when you meet one of your children for the first time. The subsequent generation had no mitigating factor whatsoever. We just stood there (well I did most of the standing) and contemplated each other. This young lady stands a good chance of reaching the 22d century and here she was staring at her grandfather, whose own grandfather was born in 19th. Strange the thoughts that course through your mind when emotions run as high as they were yesterday. Unconditional love really smacks you upside the head when you experience it in such a rush. Of course I think she’s perfect, but that’s my job as grandfather (I’m figuring it out as we go).
Meeting my Granddaughter Surrounded by her Parents
Of course I don’t want to minimize just how good it was to see my Favorite Panamanian and the Cali-Daughter (and proud mommy) again. My personal life, which seemed so desolate over the last month (except for the occasional pub crawl) was suddenly brimming with life again!
They had plans for showing me around the neighborhood but I didn’t want to leave the side of the littlest angel. I was surprised (once again) at just how small a one-week old baby is, despite her impressive birth weight. I know to anyone not immediately related to a small baby would be bored with hanging around with a small person who’s only talents consists of eating, sleeping, and defecating but I was captured from the moment I saw her.
The grandparents were called upon for babysitting duty in the afternoon as my daughter had her post-op doctor’s appointment. This was the first time she’d been away from her daughter since birth so there were some tears involved (I don’t think it was due to fear at leaving us in charge but I can’t be sure). We received several text over the next couple hours checking up on us but, of course, this wasn’t our first rodeo. I’m not saying I’m not a little rusty in the baby care department but I had the Favorite Panamanian to handle all the tough parts.
The Finger Grab
We did a video call with my favorite son and the ABFA in the evening and it really seemed like the whole family was together for the first time. I can only guess they were as impressed with the First Blog Reader as I am. While Wingman was burping her she grabbed onto my finger (a strong gal) and my heart melted all over again. At this point it’s reaching the boiling point.

I was determined to vanquish jet lag and vowed to stay up late with Wingman after the ladies retired for the night but by 9 o’clock the past twenty-four hours descended in full force. It was a very long day but I can’t think of one where I’ve been happier. I’m so proud of the new parents.
Alright, I may Have Reached Over a Little
Going to to be Tough to Leave this Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment