Saturday, November 28, 2015

Family Redux

My Son and Sister Yesterday
A late post today because I don’t want to let go of yesterday and after I finish writing this it will seem just that much further in the past. Who could imagine that Thursday’s excellent day of family fun could be improved on? Yesterday went a long way towards accomplishing that goal due to an incomparable sister and her commitment to the day after Thanksgiving gathering that has become her hallmark over the last decade. It started out as a chance to celebrate with my mother since I always spent the actual holiday with my father’s family. When my mother passed my sister remarked that the tradition would die but my kids would hear nothing of that.
Buddy Trying to Get Inside with his Tormentor at his Side
It’s always been so much fun to get together with my sister and her fabulous in laws that both my son and daughter insisted the tradition continue. Since my sister is incapable of refusing them anything we have continued and we’re all the richer. The Keene Friend has fallen victim to being included as a member of the family so he’s always dragged into the affair as well. After a morning spent with another group of friends and accompanying three females on a Christmas tree buying expedition (not for the faint of heart) he was ready for a few adult beverages.
My son and the ABFA showed up in Worcester shortly after Keene Friend for the trek down to the Ocean State. Buddy accompanied us, much to the amazed pleasure of his newest cousin Remy, who immediately took up his tormenting duties of the exasperated wonder pooch. My sister outdid herself once again with a fabulous Thanksgiving spread. Keene Friend, my favorite son, and I assisted in the final prep as Buddy was consigned to the back yard with his affectionate cousin.
Son and ABFA - Party Time!
We were just about ready to serve when we noticed a severe lack of noise coming from the back yard which upon inspection revealed a total lack of canines. Buddy had staged a breakout! He burrowed under the fence and was joined by his young cousin for an unfettered trip around the greater Cranston area. The entire family deployed into the street trying to ascertain the missing dogs’ location. The only voice that seemed to have any effect was my Favorite Panamanian’s. The two dogs emerged from a few houses down and slunk back for some quality cage time.
Buddy Grabbing Some Rest While Remy is Held Back
While the dinner was fun the real highlight of the day was the evening party that always follows. I sat around the table conversing with the family while awaiting the arrival of the party guests. There’s a standing joke within my sister’s in-laws family who are justifiably known for their lack of punctuality. We started a contest on how late the first would arrive. The ABFA (who else) won when the first in-law showed up only 34 minutes after the scheduled start time.
Brother in Law - AKA Life of Party
The rest of the evening was spent catching up with these all too fun people gathered around the table where food and drinks just kept re-appearing. My brother in law showed up from work and the party really took off. There were a couple video calls with my daughter and granddaughter and you could tell how much they missed being a part of the day with us (okay that was mostly on my daughter’s part). My daughter reported a very fussy day by the little one which had both  her and the Wingman a little exhausted. Hopefully they’ll be with us next year and into the future. The pictures of my granddaughter were once again the first order of business for everyone and they confirmed her grandfather’s opinion of her excellence.

Californian Perfection

Tired Mom Yesterday

What do you Mean - "Fussy"?!
Per usual, I didn’t want the night to end but time has this frustrating inexorable tendency to pass. My wife gamely volunteered for the drive home with me in the semi-navigating spot. I stayed awake for the entire midnight ride home which is a first for these type trips. I can’t wait for next year.
Photos from Confidential Source of the Arcane Sister of my Brother in Law

Here Seen with My favorite Panamanian Inspecting my Granddaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment