Saturday, January 31, 2015

Wingman Windstruck

New England weather inserted itself into my planned lunch with Wingman yesterday. I was tracking his progress as his band approached Boston. I had a narrow window which I planned on sneaking away from work, driving into Boston, lunching and then back to Worcester for an afternoon meeting. Freezing rain showed up followed by some snow which asserted itself into the monkey wrench role. I was monitoring traffic and the narrow window became less and less plausible. I was genuinely bummed out when I finally decided it was not to be. It was so frustrating to be so close and yet not being able to see him.
Wingman With My Son and ABFA Last Night in Boston
Luckily the ABFA and my son rescued the family honor by attending the band’s show last night which according to reports was a huge success. I woke up this morning to this photo and felt a whole lot better. Wingman is an elusive target – he wakes up today in New Jersey.
My Two Mentors Last Night
First Friday was special yesterday because my first boss after I retired from the military journeyed up from Hartford to join the celebrations. She and the excellent boss are my civilian mentors and it was truly special catching up with her. I had probably one more beer than I should which made the snow blowing of the 2” of snow in the driveway interesting. While I was in Zorba’s the winds really picked up and when I pulled back into my driveway there were some serious drifts building.
Zorba's!
I didn’t think much of it and decided to address it this morning. My hilltop house experiences almost constant winds over the winter and they were certainly howling all night. Most of the front porch furniture was frozen to the floor so it was mostly where it was supposed to be this morning. Then I went to check out the driveway.

My jaw literally dropped. The temperatures dove overnight and all the snow so laboriously removed from the bottom of the driveway had blown back in.  There was a drift 2 – 3’ deep covering the entire bottom of the driveway. It’s been so cold that the snow from the big storm has stayed powdery enough to let the wind still play with it.
Driveway This Morning
The wind chills were -25 degrees as I tackled the drifts this morning. I felt this was in some ways almost unfair because this snow had already been moved. It took me a good hour to get the driveway open again and as I look out I’ll probably be out there again when I leave to run some errands.  At least it won’t be 3 feet deep again, hopefully.
Not Fun
I’m knocking out all of my weekend chores this morning because Buddy and I are journeying north to New Hampshire this afternoon to link up with the Keene Friend. I believe there’s a sports bar in my immediate future. We’ll stay up there for the Super Bowl tomorrow. I planned on staying over Sunday night as well but yet another major snow storm is set to descend in the early morning hours of Monday so I’ll be beerless for the game since I’ll be driving home.

Winter has certainly decided to return and remind us to never count on New England weather to remain constant. I probably won’t be blogging tomorrow so the next time I write here I will be celebrating the Patriots thrilling Super Bowl Win! GO PATS!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment