Monday, January 12, 2015

Sunday Blur

In my wife’s absence Sunday becomes known as “wife appreciation day” around my house. It’s the day each week when I realize just how much work she does to get me ready for a work week. In her absence, since there is a serious lack of other volunteers, that work falls to me – hence the appreciation.  It’s pretty tough to realize and then admit to yourself that you’re “high maintenance”. 

I started the day out at Keene Friend’s house after the football filled Saturday.  He was still at work (poor sod) and, after receiving a call telling me he would be delayed, Buddy and I set out for home. I wasn’t fully prepared for just how damned cold it was outside. I’m spoiled having a garage so when I got into my car which spent the night outside in sub-zero New Hampshire weather it as a real come to Jesus moment. My man parts may descend again someday. I even wimped out and used my wife’s favorite feature in the car – the seat warmers.
The Last of the Christmas Decorations that Fell Yesterday
I got home and managed to go grocery shopping, strip the beds, do the laundry, fold clothes, water my wife’s nearly pervasive house plants, and prepare my lunches for the week all around watching the two NFL playoff games. I even vacuumed but that was kind of needed because I also policed up the remaining Christmas decorations and that always leaves a trail of pine needles and glitter. All this work apparently tired the hell out of Buddy because he spent the entire football game asleep with his head in my lap. I think he knows how lonely the day was and tried to fill the gap.
Buddy Most of Yesterday with his Head in my Lap
I didn’t really care who won the NFC game between Green By and Dallas but I found myself thinking that whichever team won would be steamrolled by Seattle. Both quarterbacks were nearly immobilized by injuries and will present a tempting target for Seattle’s defense. The later AFC game should end for all time the Brady-Manning debate, at least when it comes to playoff performance. Peyton Manning rounded into his usual playoff mode and choked again the day after Brady led the Pats back from two 14 point deficits. We were treated to an entire 4th quarter of the “Manning face” as his very talented team once again failed to advance; case closed.

Classic Fail
I finally heard from my wife last night as she completed her journey up to her home town of David from Panama City. Instead of her usual declarations of undying love (well she did sneak that in as well) she wanted me to help her figure out how to turn on the air conditioning in her sister’s room (I’m not kidding).  Apparently she’s not thriving in the hot weather. I detect no groundswell of sympathy out of New England for her plight. The last person to successfully turn it on was the WingMan during his visit last year so I reached out to him and my daughter in California. Unfortunately they were on a dinner date which my wife’s questions interrupted. It was almost comical as I tried to end the dual conversations before ruining their date.

No comments:

Post a Comment