Tuesday, January 13, 2015

L.A. Downer and Windy Haunts

Daughter's Brand New Car
Sadly my daughter learned one of the true “joys” of car ownership over the weekend. She’d spent most of her adult life in New York City where a car is superfluous. Since she moved to Los Angeles, auto mecca that it is, last month one of the first things she and Wing Man did was buy their first car together. They were sideswiped by a hit and run driver Sunday night which caved in the left side of the car pretty well. In the best news in a bad situation department – both she and Wing Man came through unscathed if a little pissed off. When I spoke with her last night my daughter was appreciating what a great insurance company USAA is as the car will be going in for repairs today. One of the real benefits of military service is that my children are also eligible for USAA membership.
Buddy and I watched the first ever college national championship football game last night but to be honest Buddy was not that big a fan. It was a very exciting game as I thought Oregon was going to run Ohio State out of the stadium after the first few minutes but as usual in football the stronger team won. Ohio State using their third string quarterback was a great story and they wore out the flashier Oregonians and their truly scary offense. 
My wife and I talked where she continued to take issue with the hot temperatures she’s forced to endure in Panama. As the ice was rattling off the windows I found it hard to muster a lot of sympathy. I told her she could return and all her issues with hot weather would be instantly solved. I don’t think she’s going to take me up on that. We did have a nice talk about the future house in Panama as she’ll visit the land we own with some appraisers later this week.
I got to bed late (after midnight) due to the game but the empty house on the hill was rocked all night by the signature winter winds. I woke up repeatedly through the night as different sounds emanated from peculiar locations. I even got up at 3AM because I was certain Buddy was having one of his panic attacks down in the basement. Since these attacks are usually accompanied by bodily emissions that are extremely olfactory in nature I beat feet downstairs.
Buddy was soundly asleep and did not take my panicked inspection of the basement in good grace. I eventually figured out the winds were strong enough that the two rocking chairs on the front porch had been set in motion to create the sounds that woke me up. My wife would have claimed we were haunted – it certainly felt that way last night.
I finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell, the book upon which the hit movie was based.  Now here was a guy truly haunted, by the ghosts of his three teammates that didn’t make it off the mountain in Afghanistan.  If the book is true (and I do think some license was taken) then the movie did not go far enough in portraying the heroism of Messrs. Murphy, Axelson, and Dietz. 

The first half of the book was tough to get through as he spent a long, long time going through his SEAL training. I get it – it was tough. The book truly soars though when the four man team in dropped off in the Hindu Kush and are shortly embroiled in a battle for their lives against hordes of Taliban fighters.  Luttrell is a plainspoken Texan and the co-author didn’t smooth out the dialect which made it more realistic and enjoyable. This guy was one tough S.O.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment