Sunday, January 18, 2015

Well Lived

The Hero of the Night Surrounded by his Family
I got lucky yesterday. I was privileged to observe a group come together to honor my cousin on the occasion of his 60th birthday. He’s the closest thing I had to a brother growing up and we’ve always shared a brother’s shorthand when it came to communication. The short drive to his hometown was also strumming the old nostalgia wires. I passed underneath an overpass for Baptist Hill Road in Palmer which is where I used to go for Thanksgiving each year as a young boy. Just passing by the road still has the power to evoke some of the best memories of my youth.
The Party Hall
My cousin’s most excellent wife rented the top floor of the local VFW hall and put out the word to their group of friends. At least a hundred people crowded the hall which tells you in no uncertain terms how well thought of my cousin is. The group consisted of a wide range of ages and included a healthy percentage of young people who lives my cousin has touched. He’s devoted his life to his town and the especially the youth of that town and this was a chance for them to show him how much they appreciated his devotion. It was so cool to witness. 
My Cousin with his Sister and his Son
The big event of the night left nary a dry eye in the hall. My cousin’s daughter is serving in the Army in Germany and he was told she couldn’t make it home for the party but had sent a tribute video. My cousin was placed in a chair in the middle of the dance floor as the video played showing pictures from across his very full  life. The last picture was followed by a message “Now Turn Around”. When he did his daughter appeared in her dress uniform for a heartfelt hug as the entire room hooted in pleasure.  As I said – not a dry eye in the entire place.
The Moment he Turned Around

I’ve been fortunate enough over the past few years to get to know several of my cousin’s friends and it was a lot of fun hanging out with them last night. There was even a reunion of Team Jello Shots from a golf tournament nearly two years ago.  My cousin and I always seem to inspire each other to consume vast quantities of beer and that trend certainly held true last night. Something that would have made my absent wife very happy was an active dance floor that my cousin’s wife dragged me out for a dance. She said she owed it to my wife to insure I stayed in shape.
Family Reunited
As my cousin circulated throughout the hall I also got to talk with his sister, obviously also my cousin. She donated most of her adult life as a military wife and has returned to her hometown – something I’m working on. It was fun to catch up with her and stroll the shared memory lane of family events.

The Dance Floor
So last night was a very good night. You could honestly tell how beloved my cousin was. Testimony to a life extremely well lived.
Great People to Hang Out With

Photo Bombed by Team Jello Shots

No comments:

Post a Comment