Friday, January 9, 2015

Namesake Thunder Run

Birthday Boy and His Mom (My Sis) at McShawn's Last Night
Well in a typical New England weather turn it’s now a balmy 27 degrees warmer than it was at this time yesterday.  Of course that means its 17 degrees which isn’t exactly tropical but after yesterday I’ll take what I can get.  At least there’s a driving snow storm to contend with this morning that more than doubled my usual commute time.  Flatlanders should just stay home on days like today and leave the roads to people who know how to drive in the snow.
Wife in Panama Yesterday Giving me Hug Instructions
My wife’s departure for warmer climes is more and more understandable.  She’s still in Panama City staying with a PanaGal (the former Mrs. Cantankerous Friend for 15 minutes) catching up with relatives.  My wife figured out how to text me from there which means I’m grilled each morning on what I choose to wear for work.  She also sent a couple pictures snapped while we spoke on the phone.  I’m always amazed by how much the Panama City skyline changes each year.  It’s almost like one of my son’s Lego sets because skyscrapers appear almost overnight. 
Panama City Skyline as Seen From PanaGal's Balcony
Black pointed Skyscraper Was Not there Last Year
The original PanaGals arrived in the city last night and they went to dinner although I’m sure they shopped on the way to the restaurant.  It was good to see a picture of them together because my wife’s family is so much fun to just hang out with and it was eighty degrees warmer as well (which doesn’t hurt after a day like yesterday).  At least someone was warm yesterday as I lived vicariously through my obviously happy spousal unit.
Dinner With the PanaGals and the Awesome Compadre
Back in Frigidlandia, I swore this year I wound not fall into my hermitical ways during my two months of geographical bachelorhood.  In prior years I imprison myself at home watching movies, sports, and doing puzzles (as well as moving snow).  In the never ending cycle of self-examination I concluded I was missing out on opportunities to hang out with friends/ family by doing this and pledged I would do better this year.  The first event on that pledge was my namesake nephew’s 21st birthday celebration last night in Rhode Island.

He was told earlier in the day that since it was a school night (i.e. work today) that I would not be able to spend his first legal day in one of my favorite bars – McShawn’s  in Cranston.  I secretly told his mother (my sister) that I would make the trip down there for one beer with him if she would let me know when they arrived.  I received the call and much to Buddy’s consternation left him alone to watch television while I made the hour long drive down to McShawn’s.
Birthday Boy and Me in McShawn's
It was worth the effort just seeing the look on his face when I walked in the door.  It was also good for my morale because his birthday wish called for all his aunts and uncles to join him at the bar and that constitutes a healthy percentage of my favorite people in the world. The birthday boy was surrounded by his friends as well as the aforementioned family and they had taken over half the entire bar.  I immediately realized this would definitely be a challenge in terms of my planned limit of one beer; especially give McShawn’s was under new ownership.  The prior skinny, tattooed, male bar tenders had been replaced with a couple of ladies who could be described as lovely – if a seriously married guy such as myself was brave enough to make said assessment. 
With His Mom and Girlfriend
I dutifully delivered the signature hug my wife always bestows upon my nephew following her instructions.  It was obvious they had been doing some serious partying during the time I was driving down but I was welcomed into the crowd and the hour I spent there seemed incredibly short.  I even promised my sister’s mystically gifted sister in law that I wouldn’t take blog pictures of her last night.  Her brother then stepped up and sent me one.  Since I’m feeling magnanimous and she is, despite my kidding, one of the nicest people one earth – I decided not to use it(until needed).   

I was very touched that one of the first things my nephew told me was that he could now legally join me for my birthday pub crawls.  There must be something in the name we both share.  My grandfather, whom I’m named after, was known to lift a few as well.  Before leaving I dutifully passed on my personal hangover remedy – Alka Seltzer before going to bed.


I got back home a little before midnight and had restricted myself to one beer but it was kind of cool to have shared it with a guy I once (and only once) changed diapers on.  I think I’m going to like this whole pledge thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment