Monday, January 19, 2015

Epic Wins with Epic Friends

Yesterday I woke up bemoaning the fact I forgot to pack alka seltzer for my trip to my cousin’s party. I should have known better because he has some mystical ability to encourage severe beer consumption whenever we’re together. Alright – it’s not that mystical. I had a bunch of errands to take care of due to my wifeless existence, as well as a couple ice storms to dodge, so I snuck out of my cousin’s house before those with civilian burnished time clocks arose. It turned out to be a good decision as the first of the ice started to fall just as I was pulling into the house.
Buddy Trying to Look Contrite
I was conducting my morning constitutional basking in the afterglow of the prior evening’s festivities when Buddy the Wonder Pooch decided to lodge his complaint for spending that same evening in his kennel. He took up station outside the bathroom door and then I heard the unmistakable sounds of a truly spectacular technicolor yawn. I was not in position to hurry him outside so when the first one elicited no immediate response other than a loud and deafening, “NO!” from behind the door he deposited the remaining contents of his stomach with a second yawn. After all the beer my cousin “forced” on me the night before cleaning up the results of this protest was not first on my list of tasks I wanted to face. Buddy felt he had adequately stated his point and tried to look contrite although I swear I caught him smiling a couple times.
The Gang Watching Football Yesterday
The ice eventually turned over to a steady rain which allowed me to drive up to Keene to watch the NFL playoff games with the two Keene Friends and the Cantankerous Friend who followed through with his threat to join us for the second game. We were rewarded with two epic games although that opinion is probably not shared by anybody from either Wisconsin or Indiana. The defending champ Seahawks looked all but dead until the final four minutes of the game when they staged a comeback for the ages. Green Bay contributed with some really curious actions – playing not to lose instead of to win. They really didn’t deserve to win and karma redeemed its price with an overtime touchdown pass.
The Catch that Ended Green Bay's Season
People who were in the know had been saying all week that the Colts could not hope to match up with the Patriots. I’m not brave enough to not harbor some doubts – not wanting to anger the football gods. Turns out they were right as the Patriots destroyed the Colts in the same driving rain storm I drove through earlier. We have to work on our high fiving though. As each Patriots touchdown scored we attempted a group high five which met with limited and in some ways comical results. It remains so much more fun to watch the game with friends instead of solo. Keene Friend had to leave for work shortly after halftime but he allowed the rest of us to hang out and watch the Patriots complete their destruction of Indiana.


Sweeeeeet!!!!!
My wife joined us from Panama by a continuous stream of texts asking me why certain things were happening such asking why Brady threw an “intersection”. It was fun though. My daughter also texted Patriots support from the West Coast and Wing Man went on stage last night wearing one of his Patriots’ shirts. In the midst of one of the scoring drives my college roommate called from Pittsburgh and was immediately put on speaker phone. We thanked him for LeGarrette Blount and he reported he and his wife are renting a cottage for a week this summer. He grew up on the shores of Spofford Lake and hosted some of the greatest parties of my misspent youth there. So we will return to the scene of several misdemeanors that are better assigned to the dustbin of history than explored here.  Something else for us to celebrate. Epic synergy.
Wing Man on Stage Last Night

California Daughter Support

No comments:

Post a Comment