Friday, January 16, 2015

Oscars and Idiots


As an unapologetic movie nut the release of the Oscar nominations is always a big event. Although my tastes don’t veer towards the artistic and message films (see a certain daughter of mine for that) the Academy favors at the expense of what’s really popular, I still enjoy the process. There’s been a hue and cry about the lack of African-American nominations but I’ve never been a quota guy. If the work earns the nom I think left leaning Hollywood will provide the nomination. Since Hollywood films are more and more of an international affair and the biggest market is Asia then I think we should say there should be more Asian actors up for nominations before we bemoan the lack of “color”.
Ralph Didn't Make it But Glad Keaton Did
As usual, the best movie of the year – Guardians of the Galaxy - wasn’t even nominated as it was entirely too much fun and wildly popular for serious Oscar consideration. I haven’t seen Selma yet but I never understand how a picture can be nominated but not the director – that seems to happen a lot when the director is a woman – just sayin. The remarkable actor David Oyelowo also didn’t get nominated for his portrayal of Martin Luther King, Jr. in the same movie. From what I have heard they played loose and fast with the events surrounding the Selma march and that seminal event is too important to re-invent the history surrounding it so that might have hurt him. I know he’ll be back in future years – he’s that good. My personal biggest disappoint was the failure of Ralph Fiennes to land a nomination for his work in the Grand Budapest Hotel. The movie itself landed the most nominations but it would have never soared without his magnificent performance; comedy never does well with Oscar.
A Fine Example of Informed Youth
Now for the idiots and anybody living in the Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts yesterday knows exactly of whom I speak. A bunch of leeches on the ass of society decided to chain themselves to barrels and block a major interstate leading into Boston. These worthless gasbags claimed to be affiliated with the “Black Lives Matter” movement but I heard several commentators from that group disavowing any connection and condemning the action. These wastes of perfectly good protoplasm came from the anarchist movement that inflicted occupy Wall Street on those of us who work for a living a few years ago. 
The Barrels They Used - After the Police Got Through With Them
The tactic did nothing more than enrage hundreds of thousands of people who might have been a little bit sympathetic towards their stated goal until their infantile act. There were several stories of emergency services that could not get badly injured patients to the Boston hospitals because of their actions.  The stated goal was to block white commuters who took advantage of the colored people of Boston. These people need some lessons in demographics because many of the people blockaded were working stiffs who could not dream of affording a Boston address. I am always left in wonder than a rational human mind thinks these type moves accomplish anything except alienate. A society exists by the collective acquiesce to be governed. The most instructive response to this type action would be to place these bozos in the Boston jail’s general population for a couple of days instead of letting them free on their own recognizance. It would be an interesting dose of reality for their sheltered lives and psyches.

Wife in Panama
My wife continues to bombard me with photos of the tropical weather she’s enjoying down in Panama; well except for the heat. New England winter apparently thickened up her blood a little. She sent me a selfie yesterday and I responded with one of my own (we’re kind of dumb that way). As soon as I sent mine I was immersed in doubt because the photo showed the shirt and tie combination. This was dangerous territory since these fashion choices were made without her normal early morning inspection. True to form the reaction was swift as she immediately texted back that I had done a good job with combination. Luckily she couldn’t see the pants I was wearing.
Dueling Selfies Yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment