Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Taken Down

It was a slow news day at the empty hacienda – slow enough that I even started one of the 1000 piece puzzles I got for Christmas. I quickly realized the rabbit hole that represents because time kind of disappeared on me. Usually on a slow day like today I’ll pick a subject that will cause the Cantankerous Friend to rise from somnambulesence and charge to defend the naïve progressive agenda but I’m going to give him some respite. I know he’s still licking his wounds from the November elections. 

I’ve written before that one of my favorite assignments in the Army was as a young lieutenant in Panama with the Moatengators, an airborne infantry company. I was telling a friend the other day that the company had three live gators as company mascots that lived in a pool next to the company barracks.  They were really caimans and were the bane of the neighborhood cats (but I digress). My friend refused to believe that we actually took the gators with us when we made parachute jumps. I told him a mascot for an airborne unit had to be jump qualified or be forever labeled a “nasty leg” (a non-airborne qualified individual); anathema to paratroopers.
The Gator Pit Next to the Barracks
We agreed to disagree about my claim jump qualified saurian until I found this photograph from a Facebook group of old Moatengators (there aren’t any young ones). The photo shows the mascot (first step was always duct taping the mouth shut – duh!) prepared to exit the aircraft. He’s duct taped to a couple collapsing cardboard panels to cushion his landing.  New troops were always sent out to locate and retrieve the gator on the drop zone. I can imagine the horror in the politically correct world if this was attempted nowadays. It was kind of cool at the time. No gator was ever injured (that I recall) but we did scare the living hell out of a bunch of air force loadmasters.
The Gator Prepared to Exit the Aircraft and Earn his Wings
One of my favorite movies of all time is the original Taken with Liam Neeson’s character Brian Mills tearing Paris apart finding his kidnapped daughter. Taken 2 was a mere shadow but still palatable. I went to see Taken 3 last night and I can only hope they’re serious when they say “it ends here”. Mills pretty much eradicated the Balkan clan from the first two movies so they had to go in a new direction. I think it was a mistake to keep him in his Los Angeles home for this one.
Mills’ beloved ex-wife is murdered and he’s set up to take the fall. This of course leads to a serious run on L.A. County’s supply of body bags. The fight scenes were dumbed down and edited in such a fashion as there was no clean view of what was actually happening. This was one of the real strengths of the first movie. Neeson is also getting a little long in the tooth (aren’t we all) to take on a squads of bad guys at the same time. If this is the end of the Brian Mills saga they did a piss poor job of tying up loose ends at the end of the film and Forrest Whitaker was criminally underused. All this being said, it was still a Taken film and the action was almost non-stop and the pace relentless – so very watchable. I just hope they let Mills amble off into his dotage.

This one space after a period is still more difficult than I was led to believe

No comments:

Post a Comment