Saturday, January 24, 2015

Dried Out First Friday and Deflated

I went back to work yesterday after waiting out the twenty four hours to remove the huge pressure bandage on my nose. I don’t think my attempt at nose bandaging will win any esthetic awards but it’s a lot easier to see around and I can’t be spotted from dangerous distance anymore. My biggest fear was turning over in my sleep onto the wound but that wasn’t a problem and there’s been no pain whatsoever – those UMASS docs are good. It was cold yesterday morning and bringing out the rubbish I noted the pressure bandage was a good thing.

I’m on my doctor directed 48 hour alcohol ban so First Friday was different. My excellent boss had to prewarn the beautiful Brew City bartender not to pour my beer as soon as I walked I the door. She looked appropriately sympathetic. First Friday was still a lot of fun because it’s always more about spending time with friends than it is drinking beer although I’m sure my contributions to the conversation were entirely more appropriate than usual. I had to explain my nose adornment to the fabulous girls at Zorba’s as well – this was dutifully reported to the tropical wife.
Zorba's Last Night With Reduced Bandage
I’ve been uncharacteristically quiet this week about the controversy surrounding the Patriots and whole deflated football issue. I can’t be hypocritical after I spouted so much this past summer about New York Yankees’ pitcher Michael Pena’s addiction to foreign substances. Obviously something was wrong with the footballs in the first half of the Patriots game against the Colts which probably explains their mediocre first half on offense. At the same time I was astounded by the rush to judgment by the national news. It’s obvious the Patriots have become a target due to their success and a less than media friendly coach.
I find it a damning indictment of the national news that stories do not have to be corroborated anymore in the rush to get a story out. Once out, the story quickly transitions to opinions versus facts. Many of the opinions are from “has beens” and “never wases” that leaped at the chance to denigrate a guy like Brady who will go down in history as one of the best to ever play the game.  I spent the last few years in the military as an investigator; from what I’ve seen and heard there are very few facts out there but a lot of “opinions”. Its also telling that so many of the stories are leaked from the New York based NFL offices. If the New York Jets fans that staff that office saw a chance to go after the team that has been pummeling them for the past decade I’m sure they wouldn’t hesitate. Half facts and innuendo are all I’ve seen reported so far.
As to facts, the whole story started out because an Indianapolis reporter stating that an Indianapolis player complained about the ball. Turns out that did not happen. What we do know is that some of the balls were below the league standard during the first half. Both Brady and Belichick denied any attempt to deflate the balls and they seemed credible. It is of note that once the balls were properly inflated at half time the Patriots outscored the Colts 28-0. The only logical explanation is that the officials did not properly inspect the balls using a working gauge before the game. That makes a lot more sense than the arcane conspiracy so many Patriots haters are claiming. Of course, that’s just an opinion, just like 95% of the news coverage about this has been. I think the whole affair is great because this is going to motivate the hell out of the Patriots and give them an edge they’ll need against Seattle. It also rescues us from listening to the moronic ramblings of that team’s leaders.

View Out Front Door This Morning
Winter finally decided to show up in force this morning. While the temperatures have been appropriately cold – that seems like false advertising without any snow around. Mother Nature took care of that this morning as I awoke to a blanket of the white stuff, much to Buddy’s delight. It’s supposed to snow for the rest of the day. I have the same complaint about the national news concerning this storm as with the coverage of the Patriots the past week. Listening to Good Morning America this week this storm was touted as a massive, “dangerous” storm. C’mon, give me a break, New England is supposed to already had a few of these things and they come each year. It needs to be dramatic to make the news. Unfortunately the timid politicians of Rhode Island must have watched GMA because they proclaimed a parking ban for tonight which effectively cancels my planned thunder run down there for an evening at McShawn’s Pub with my sister and her in laws. Looks like the alcohol ban will be extended throughout the weekend which will probably make certain UMASS dermatologists happy.
It's a Little Warmer in Panama
My Wife and Father in Law in the Center of David

No comments:

Post a Comment