Monday, February 2, 2015

Late Night Redemption Ride

Alright – I’m still a little agitated as I sit at home as another major snow storm swirls outside. Last night was a Super Bowl for the ages as the Patriots stormed back to stun the Seahawks. I was lucky enough to watch the game at Keene Friend’s house along with Keene Friend 2, his girlfriend and son. The Cantankerous Friend came over pre-game insults before returning home. That is the way to watch football – surrounded by friends.
Post Game With Fellow Fans
The Patriots outplayed the vaunted Seahawks for most of the game except for a good chunk of the third quarter. Down by ten points entering the fourth quarter Brady went into assassin mode leading the Pats on two touchdown drives that seemed inevitable. I told the assembled group entering the 4th quarter that the final score would be 28-24. That only happened because the football gods finally tired of tormenting the Patriots fans. They lost their last two Super Bowls because of two incredible catches – including that will shall not be uttered (the Tyree catch). Just a few yards from the scene of that crime it seemed to be happening again when a desperate Seahawks pass was perfectly defensed by the Patriots only to have the ball fall into the arms of a prostrate Seahawk receiver. With the best running back in the league and the ball on the 1 yard line it seemed like the Patriots were once again going to be deprived through a stunning turn of events. Then the impossible happened, the Seahawks chose to pass and the same rookie corner back victimized on the earlier miraculous play made an interception for the ages – game over! Malcolm Butler will never have to pay for a drink in New England again. The room erupted as several decades of maturity rapidly evaporated in the wake of the improbable turn of events. We were yelling “You mad, Bro!!” at that self-important gasbag of a publicity whore, Richard Sherman, as he trudged off the field.
The Impossible Catch

The Improbable Game Ending Interception

Gasbag Reacts
Texts were flying as family celebrations took place in Portsmouth (son/ABFA), California (Daughter), Virginia (Wingman), and Panama (wife and family). Since the current storm was inbound requiring a late night drive I had to watch the game sans adult beverages but the ending provided a high no alcohol could have hoped to contend with. This was the proverbial “most fun with my clothes on” type of event. I stayed longer than I expected after the game to bask in the afterglow of emotion both on the field and Keene Friend’s living room with the dedicated Patriots fans. It seemed like the cosmos finally noticed the scales needed to be re-balanced after the legions of Patriots haters had held sway for so long – so, incredibly and deliciously sweeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wingman in Virgnia

Daughter Poolside in Cali 
Buddy and I eventually did have to hit the road to beat this latest storm home. The ride south to Charlton was kind of surreal. I have established a route off the main highways that winds through a bunch of small New England towns and villages. I’ve made the trip many times late at night and invariably it’s like driving through a deserted, somnambulant landscape. Not last night. It was after midnight but I passed lots of other cars on the road as fellow Patriots fans made their own way home from where they had enjoyed the game. It was a little nerve wracking because I’m sure not all of them had followed my alcohol free regimen making every oncoming car on the narrow country roads a point of concern. I also noticed virtually every house that I passed still had lights on and the flickering shadows of a TV still turned on. They like yours truly did not want the night to end – cosmic balance – indeed.
When I finally did get home I didn’t have to clear my driveway (yet) after three iterations on Saturday due to winds. Still high on emotions from the game I decided to celebrate with a couple beers while sharing texts with daughter and Wingman which made the night for me. Buddy staged a mini-protest by dutifully ignoring me since he had spent the entire game in his kennel> The dangerous mix of Keene Friend’s usual cornucopia of snacks at stalking level required that.

I watched and re-watched the highlights of the game while sharing the feelings with my far flung family. The funniest bit was learning my wife watched the game with her mother who had never seen an American football game before but was in tears along with my wife at the end. I laughed out loud at the image of my wife with her tenuous grasp of the game trying to explain it to her mother.

I get another snow day off today (thank God) as the political bosses didn’t want service out on the road with just a mere 10-15” of snow expected. I need the rest. I’ve included some additional photos below from the past weekend to catch up on some of the family’s comings and goings: son and ABFA with Wingman at his sold out Boston concert Friday night, late afternoon philosophy session with the Keene Friend at the ultimate sports bar – Scores in Keene, and my wife’s family at a pre-Super Bowl beach day at Las Lajas, Panama.  PATS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Son and ABFA Friday Night

Wingman on Stage

Backstage with Son, Wingman, ABFA, and my Cousin's Son

Philosophy Majors Satruday Afternoon

My Wife's Family YEsterday

At My Favorite Beach



No comments:

Post a Comment