Sunday, February 8, 2015

Stress Reduction Operations

Yesterday was the most fun I’ve had with my clothes on in a long time and something I sorely needed after the stress of passport retrieval efforts over the past week. The fun was confined to the evening when the Keene Friend and I journeyed south to spend time with my sister and her incomparable in-laws at my favorite Irish bar – McShawn’s.
Keene Friend and My Sister at McShawn's
Keene Friend and I were also ferrying Buddy the Wonder Pooch to my sister’s house for safekeeping over the next week as I hopefully head south for a tropical spousal reunion. Buddy immediately ran into my sister’s backyard and atop her frozen pool to serve notice to the neighborhood squirrels that the law had returned. I can’t believe how much I miss having him around as I write this. He’s usually at my side as I write imploring me to finish with the damned computer and do something more constructive – like pat him.
The Senator Meeting with his Constituents
Keene Friend and I went out to dinner with my brother in law before the McShawn’s experience. This was a lot of fun also as we spent the time solving all the Red Sox’ problems as well as reliving last week’s completely awesome Super Bowl. My brother in law works in the sports media and we grilled him mercilessly for his “inside” information which he took in stride, dinner went by too quickly. The rapid quality of dinner was more than redeemed when we reached McShawn’s where we were shortly surrounded by my sister and my brother in law’s entire family. Keene Friend, known as “The Senator”, in this circle of friends was greeted like a returning hero now that he has shed his prison like work schedule.
Brother in Law and Keene Friend
We normally take over a corner table and hold forth from that strategic location. That table was already taken by a group even older than we were so we took over one side of the bar. The general consensus, first voiced by my sister, was that sitting/standing at the bar was a better alternative because it gave people the opportunity to circulate. She may be on to something there because the entire evening was spent shifting between people, catching up, and admiring the new bartender.
The New Bartender
McShawn’s was recently sold and the new owner invested in a very comely lady who is also a top notch bar tender. She took very good care of us all night and was a good sport as the inanity levels peaked late in the evening. There were two very lovely young ladies carrying around a strange looking device encased in a clear plastic container. It turns out they were Heineken representatives demonstrating a new brewing process. The bartender quickly surmised my affinity for beer and steered the young ladies in my direction since they were also providing free samples of their product. I am talking about the beer for those of you with subterranean imaginations. The bar also boasted a bevy of young Italian-American ladies (this was Rhode Island) celebrating a bachelorette party.
McShawn's With Ms. Photogenic 2015
I spent a lot of time with the very photogenic sister of my brother in law carefully avoiding any talk of the Red Sox. I did want to subject them to her arcane powers. I’m still convinced she had something to do with last season’s debacle although she continues to profess innocence.
If dinner was too fast than the night at McShawn’s may have shattered the light speed barrier because all too soon Keene Friend and I were on our way back to Charlton, Buddy-less. Keene Friend volunteered to drive which was a good thing otherwise we would still be walking back. The drive back, what I remember of it, was through a snow storm (of course) and we even stopped at my wife’s old friend, TJ Maxx, so I could properly christen the location. For the amount of money I send their way each month I should not receive any complaints.
Namesake Nephew and I Later in the Evening
I awoke this morning to another three inches of snow to clear and learn the Keene Friend had made one of his patented early morning escapes. The house is entirely too lonely but I still had a smile on my face remembering the comradery of Saturday evening at McShawn’s.


Then I learned my flight to Panama for tomorrow was cancelled because of another huge snow storm. The stress returns as I’m now waiting for a ticket agent to answer the phone, although I’ve been told several hundred times already that they value my business and appreciate my patience (if they only knew). More tomorrow on how this turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment