Monday, February 23, 2015

Sunshine and Solo Oscar Night

Sunny Front Yard
Yesterday the snow stopped in the early morning hours and was followed by a truly rare sight – sunshine. I knew from my recent Panamanian adventure that the sun was in fact still up there but New Englanders were starting to wonder. The temperatures never got above thirty but it still felt like a heat wave after the frigid existence of the past month. The freshly fallen snow should have had even a hard hearted cynic waxing eloquently about the pristine beauty but we’re beyond that. Just too much of a bad thing with the snow that never seems to end. We’re ready to see our submerged fences and hedges.
My Oscar Date in Position Last Night
For the third year in a row I was watching the Academy Awards alone which robs a certain amount of enjoyment out of the process. Buddy parked himself beside me for the first half but he wasn’t much of a conversationalist. I’ve got to acquire a fellow movie nut as a friend to watch this annual pinnacle of the Hollywood year. My wife will continue her tropical sojourns during this coldest of months so I’m kind of stuck.
I liked the telecast this year with Neil Patrick Harris as the host. I thought he looked very nervous at times, like it was a little too much for him. The opening number was well done but seemed kind of rushed – a great tribute to Hollywood past and present with able assistance from Anna Kendrick and Jack Black.  I did better than usual with my Oscar predictions only missing on six (and going 5 for 6 in the major categories) but as usual most of the predictions were nothing more than WAGs (Wild Ass Guesses).
Common and John Legend - Best Speech of Night
The speeches were very good this year but the best of the night goes to Common and John Legend after winning for best song for Selma. They were articulate and powerful in what the song meant to them. David Oyelowo tried to demonstrate what a mistake it was to pass him over for an acting nomination by crying copiously whenever a camera was near. He had some serious competition from Chris Pine though.
Birdman Soared
John Travolta cemented his reputation as the creepiest middle aged actor in Hollywood by face raping Idina Menzel after correctly pronouncing her name for the first time. They screwed up the In Memory section again by having only portraits instead of clips with no audience reaction. This was a true shame in a year we lost James Garner, Lauren Bacall, Robin Williams, and Mike Nichols. Birdman sprinted to the finish with most of the big awards but The Grand Budapest Hotel saw a lot of richly deserved love over the night. Earlier in the day I re-watched Birdman and it deserved the accolades. Why do they still let Sean Penn near a microphone is beyond me.
When I heard Lady Gaga had finagled her way into the Oscar broadcast I cringed at what she would inflict upon us in the name of her “art”. I was thus genuinely surprised when she was luminous and hit all the highest of notes in the tribute to the Sound of Music that even moved Julie Andrews who came on as she finished. The tattoos were distracting and I still don’t “get” that but that’s my curmudgeon side asserting itself.

My Creative Daughter's Pastries
My daughter’s annual Oscar party must have been a success because I didn’t get my usual late night call to rehash the results. It was still only 9pm out there when the telecast finished which is entirely more convenient than right coast midnight. One of the stars of her Oscars snacks was re-creating the signature pastries from the Grand Budapest Hotel. I don’t know where she gets this from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment